• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mounting 2 Din-E radios in double Din slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I have a '03 Silveradio. The stock radio I pulled was a double DIN sized radio. I am wanting to put my Pioneer MP3 head in the dash along with my BC996T. Is anyone mounted both a car stereo and a din sized scanner in a double DIN hole? I was hoping to have found a mounting bracket or kit but have had no such luck. They will both fit in there fine, I just need a "installation kit" to hold them in.

Thanks for any ideas you can share.

SCPD

QRT
Kingpin

If possible, could you post pictures of the instalation process. I will be doing the same project in the future.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
P

ProBob

Aight, this is starting to BOTHER the crap out of me. Why does the majority of this site's members post questions in the PICTURES OF YOUR SHACK OR MOBLE SETUP forum? It's for pictures, not for questions....geeeeeeeezzzzz

P

ProBob

Quoted from the top of this thread:

"Pictures Of Your Shack/Mobile Setup Here you can post pictures of your shack, mobile, or portable setup for everyone to be envious of. Don't forget to rate the threads of good setups."

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
ProBob said:
Aight, this is starting to BOTHER the crap out of me. Why does the majority of this site's members post questions in the PICTURES OF YOUR SHACK OR MOBLE SETUP forum? It's for pictures, not for questions....geeeeeeeezzzzz
Because it strongly relates to Mobile setups...and chances are you will get the question anwered quicker by posting it here, because most of the people in this forum are knowledgeble about vehicle installs. Why do people have to be so whiney about little things like this? :roll: The man is just trying to get a question answered.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
What data functions are you refering to? I've had my Pioneer in my truck for 2 years now.
I have the BOSE system and it works seamlessly and actually sounds better than the stock head unit! My Pioneer has a line input I installed so I can run the 996T audio into it when I'm not listening to anything else. Ahhh, air traffic control in surround!

The only things I have lost are:
Onstar (Subscription expired anyway. Too expensive)
Steering wheel volume & seek controls
The door chime when you leave your lights on, key in ignition, and low fuel (OOPS!)

The benefits outweigh the negatives for me. The install kit I had had a pocket underneath for a cd or two, just filled dead space.

Both radios fit in there fine, just need to "mount" them. I ordered the double din universal mount today so when I get it, I'll take more pictures.

wyldman

Some GM cars and trucks will not work without the OEM radio installed.Aftermarket companies make a huge jumper harness to install the OEM radio in the truck or under the seat so the vehicle will still run,and you can add an aftermarket radio.

radio10-8

Double Din

I have double DIN setup and I am going to do the same thing. Install a 996 and an am/fm CD radio. I went to different stereo installers in town and found that most will do it for $35-60 dollars. One installer even suggestted a custom trim between radios and offerred to paint the silver 996 trim to black for an extra $15. Both radios can operate at the same time and with my cellular phone car kit the "mute" feature can be work on both radios or just the am/fm and leave the scanner on. I alos went to a local shop that installs radios fro fire and police vehicles and it would cost $40 more they knew alot more about installing antennas and offerred ideas for multiple antennas on one scanner. I found it best to look around and see what installers can do for you. Of course it is easy to install it yourself and save the $$ for your favorite beverage. But I am going to have someone else install my radios this time. I'll post photos as soon as I get it started.

tede911

Premium Subscriber
Long story short...I am planning this project as well and am very interested in others experiences and of course, photos!

The long version... Upgraded from a 1998 Ford Expedition (with make shift installs and wires everywhichway) to a 2006 Expedition. I do not want to repeat the messy installs of my last truck. I am already planning a jottodesk radio console for the factory center console but want to also put a 996T or BCT15 in the dash. I am planning on removing the factory double-DIN stereo and replacing it with an aftermarket in-dash am/fm stereo and one of the above described scanners. I've seen the double-DIN sleeve kits for the '06 Expeditions and figure to pick up one in the near future.

I am also an XM subscriber and want to get rid of my SkiFi2 in favor of an "XM ready" in dash unit with the seperate tuner. I'm told the tuner unit will fit beneath the double-DIN space (behind the A/C controls?). Not sure what stereo unit to get (suggestions?). Many seem to have sliding or tilting face plates and don't know if they will work in this dash set up with a scanner either immediately below or above.

Please share your thoughts/ideas/photos on the project. THANKS!

-Ted
Cambridge,MA

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
My Pioneer MP3/CD player is XM ready with a seperate add on tuner that you can tuck away. I never added it because I got a SkyFi 2 to share between vehicles.

luigi517

din-e sleeves

are all din e sleeves the same size, i am wondering if i need to order the ridiculously expensive sleeve for the uniden BCT15 or if the one from an aftermarket car stereo will work

n8emr

Just make sure its a true double din. Many GMC are 1.5 din. I know up to at least 02 are 1.5 din radio's.

enine

wyldman said:
Some GM cars and trucks will not work without the OEM radio installed.Aftermarket companies make a huge jumper harness to install the OEM radio in the truck or under the seat so the vehicle will still run,and you can add an aftermarket radio.

that is a false rumor some 'professional' radio installers propigate. The relocate harness is because the chime goes through the radio as well as on some models it has menus where you can reset the oil change notification or control the number of swipes the wipers make when you hit wash but it does not prevent any normal vehicle operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.