Mounting a DX-One Pro Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

omniryx

Another query for the antenna experts.

When last I wrote to this forum it involved mounting my DX-One beside an Austin Ferret. I appreciate the help on that one. My plan had been to mount it on the side of a neighbor's mast at 25m. However, his XYL has commanded that he take it down as he was using it only for commercial TV and she wants cable. He offered to sell it to me but the takedown would be a pain and I don't really want a big mast like that in my yard.

I am back to mounting it on a Penninger mast which I have extended from 10m to 14m. Here's my question: A friend insists that I will get better performance from the DX-One if I change the top piece of tubing from aluminum to fiberglass (that would be the top 8') and mount the DX-One on the fiberglass instead of the aluminum. I'm reluctant to do that unless the improvement would be significant as I live in the land of summer T-storms which will often snap off fiberglass tubing. The mast is mounted on a Penninger tipper but if I tipped it for every T-storm it would be on the ground more than in the air every summer.

Advice will be much appreicated.

omniryx

Never mind...

Didn't get any response here so I directed my query to RF Systems. They advise that the material of the mounting mast (aluminum vs. fiberglass) makes no difference. They do stress (as everyone does in regard to this antenna) that it must be grounded precisely in the manner stated in their instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.