Mounting a mast to an external wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonzilla

Hello all, I have a question about mounting a mast to an external wall. I would like to use a 10' length of 1.25" EMT, and attach it to an exterior wall using 8-inch standoff "Y" brackets. I would end up with about seven feet of mast over the peak of the roof, with three feet of the mast supported by the two brackets.

My question is if standoff brackets such as these are suitable to support the full weight of a 10' mast, or would I instead need to use a longer mast, attached to/supported by the ground, and just use the standoff brackets as an additional support to keep the mast a constant distance from the wall.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mrweather

What kind of antenna are you planning to mount on the mast? EMT is pretty heavy stuff and the standoffs may not be able to support the vertical weight of both the mast and antenna.

QDP2012

Welcome to RR,

If you haven't already considered it, when selecting brackets and number of brackets, you might want to consider not just the antenna/mast vertical weight, but also the effect of wind from each direction -- whether wind would try to pull the antenna/mast away from the structure, or whether it would try to blow the antenna side-to-side and rotate it down along the wall-face.

A longer mast, with more length below roofline than above roofline, with more than 2 mounts/stand-offs would certainly be more stable. Are you planning to run grounding-cable to the ground? If so, it might be easier to have the mast reach the ground too.

Hope this helps,

jonzilla

What kind of antenna are you planning to mount on the mast? EMT is pretty heavy stuff and the standoffs may not be able to support the vertical weight of both the mast and antenna.

Hi, right now I'm thinking a J-pole for two meter is going to be about as heavy as I might get.

Welcome to RR,

If you haven't already considered it, when selecting brackets and number of brackets, you might want to consider not just the antenna/mast vertical weight, but also the effect of wind from each direction -- whether wind would try to pull the antenna/mast away from the structure, or whether it would try to blow the antenna side-to-side and rotate it down along the wall-face.

A longer mast, with more length below roofline than above roofline, with more than 2 mounts/stand-offs would certainly be more stable. Are you planning to run grounding-cable to the ground? If so, it might be easier to have the mast reach the ground too.

Hope this helps,

Thanks, I will be grounding the mast and antenna, so this is a good consideration.

jonzilla

Nice setup RC, thanks for the link; I'm glad to know the 1.25 EMT is able to stand up to the weather!

Status
Not open for further replies.