• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mounting Antenna Inside Engine Compartment

caterpillar16

I have a friend who mounted a Laird Phantom antenna upside down inside the engine compartment on a newer Ford F-150. Frequency range is 450-470 on a conventional Mototrbo system. It is receiving any transmitting very well across our coverage area. I would like to hear opinions on whether to leave it alone or to relocate it. I was thinking this could cause some sort of RF interference, but the user is very particular about not drilling holes. I think he likes the “undercover” aspect of it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What the ****?

1. WHY?
2. WHY??????
3. Does no one read the guides that the vehicle manufacturers publish about how and where to mount radios and antennas?
4. What do they think that RF is going to do trapped inside the engine compartment, next to the computers, antilock brake modules, AIRBAGS?
5. What do they think is going to happen the first time they take their truck in for service at the Ford dealer?
6. Sure, it works, but if that works, they could easily just use a hand held inside the cab.
7. WHY???????????????????
8. Not sure the long term health of the antenna will be good surrounded by that much heat. (Florida?)
9. What the heck kind of problem do people have with mounting an antenna properly?
10. I can think of a LOT of better/safer places to mount the antenna than upside down under the hood next to the engine.
11. If you had not given the frequency range, I would have guessed this was some sort of amateur radio thing where they guys wife forbade him from drilling a hole in HER new truck.

Seriously, WTF? I'd LOVE to hear the reasoning behind this.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, wait, so private truck, doesn't want to drill holes, wants the mobile radio.

"It is receiving any transmitting very well across our coverage area"
OK, so probably a system that was designed for some pretty good level of portable coverage. Sounds like a mobile radio wasn't really necessary?

Or is "It is receiving any transmitting very well across our coverage area." codeword for "It's good enough for what I need, and I'm willing to deal with the drawbacks"?

40 watts UHF, inside the engine compartment. Powertrain management computers. Antilock brakes. All that wiring, CAN bus, etc. I can't help be feel like we have not heard the last of this.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I'm truly appalled & have nothing constructive to add to this conversation soo...
images

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Back in the day I mounted a few black 1/4 wave UHF and or 800 spikes behind the grille of a bunch of different vehicles... BEHIND the Grille as in open to the front... turned down to 20w It was mostly for close range surveillance This is when bag phones were big still so we stuck a PTT phone style handset on the radios mounted under the passenger seat

12dbsinad

If your friend mounts it directly to the engine itself it'll work better, tune better. I usually drill a 3/8 hole in the valve cover and install a thick mount, then drill another hole for the coax to exit and then silicone it up so it does not leak. It must be something about the aluminum engine heads that makes it have good tunage...