• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mounting Antenna Inside Engine Compartment

mastr

I have a friend who mounted a Laird Phantom antenna upside down inside the engine compartment on a newer Ford F-150...like to hear opinions on whether to leave it alone or to relocate it...the user is very particular...

My 2 cents- leave it alone. "Very particular" ="I'm not touching it" AFAIC.

pandel

I didn't want a big radio hanging in a new Benz, so I'm using a CCR (yea I know) radio mounted under the front seat out of sight. Another big plus, and only reason I bought the radio is the (HHCH) Hand Held Control Head. It's the only Non-stock (looking) item visible in the entire setup!
430-450-phantom-elite-antenna-black-421827
I've been using the Laird Phantom Elite on my SUV for a while now with good results.
I started out with a mag mount with various antennas, Comet B-10NMO, Laird 1/4 wave VHF, Laird 1/4 wave UHF and on it went until I found the Laird Phantom Elite, I was so impressed I went ahead and had an NMO mount installed on the rear of the roof. I'm only running 20 watts due to the radios limitations, but I'm getting better signal reposts than ever! My VNA is showing an SWR 1.50 @ 445.350 mhz.

Attachments

• Laird Phantom  Elite  430-450mhz.jpg
    Laird Phantom Elite 430-450mhz.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 23

caterpillar16

Life has been incredibly busy since I posted this, and having just read some of the replies, I must say that I have laughed pretty hard at some of them. What I was honestly looking for were the real talking points I could use to convince my friend to get that antenna out of the engine compartment. You guys have provided some good examples, and I appreciate it. Can anyone provide examples of antennas and their manufacturers that can be used in discreet locations? He’s capable of doing the work, but he just lacks basic knowledge of how antennas and RF works. It’s a public safety application for a small municipality, so unfortunately, a lot of jobs that should get left for professionals wind up getting done by people with little practical knowledge. When I saw what had been done, I knew I needed to urge him to reconsider where he had mounted the antenna. Thanks again for the friendly help, and even for the jokes and sarcasm. The entertainment value is never lost on me.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Is he actually "undercover", or just anti-antenna? Either way UHF shouldn't really be an issue for a proper, nearly un-noticeable solution.
Check out some of the offerings at
...or

Being UHF, a black $12 1/4 wave would be almost invisible to 98% of folks.

He already has the Laird Phantom. How about a black fender mount in the corner of the bed?

Even a 1/4 mag mount slapped upside down on the underside of the trailer hitch would be better than the engine compartment/faraday cage next to very expensive and very sensitive vital components.

Everyone, let's head over the the F150 forums for the conclusion to the story:LOL:

PLEASE send some pics. I would like to see this!

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
To add to this...

I know we are all pretty much in agreement here, but my wife and I are 15 year+ friends with another family who ACTUALLY own a very profitable car dealership.

They are very aware of NMO mounts. They don't care, they know how to plug them, they have NO bearing on resale value either at wholesale auction or on the retail lot, the banks don't care, almost all lessors actively don't care or don't know what an NMO hole is, and the car shoppers don't care and never even notice the plugs.

They sell bank-financed units. In 20+ years NMO holes have never once been an issue for them. Funnily enough though...mag mount antenna damage IS an issue that buyers notice.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
To add to this...

I know we are all pretty much in agreement here, but my wife and I are 15 year+ friends with another family who ACTUALLY own a very profitable car dealership.

They are very aware of NMO mounts. They don't care, they know how to plug them, they have NO bearing on resale value either at auction or on the lot, the banks don't care, almost all lessors don't care, and the car shoppers don't care and never even notice the plugs.

They sell bank-financed units. In 20+ years NMO holes have never once been an issue for them. Funnily enough though...mag mount antenna damage IS an issue that buyers notice.

AJAT

Premium Subscriber
I don’t see what the big deal is. I attached my coax to my oil dipstick. I can make contacts all around the world on 100 watts. Only had 2 engine fires. I just make sure the radio is off when I check my engine oil. I used my knowledge I gained from my amateur extra test to make it work. I will posting my design in the next QST.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Can anyone provide examples of antennas and their manufacturers that can be used in discreet locations?

F-150's are super easy to install antennas on. Some more details would help. Year/model/cab type.

I'll second the opinion above, a 6" quarter wave antenna on the roof will be about as low profile as he can get, AND it'll provide the best performance out of -all- the options. 3/4" hole saw and he'll be done.

Thanks again for the friendly help, and even for the jokes and sarcasm. The entertainment value is never lost on me.

Glad you took it as intended. It was a funny post and it deserved appropriate answers.
Many of us have run across installations that fall into the same general category and for exactly the same reasons you pointed out.

Good news it that it is an easy fix and it will greatly improve performance while reducing the chances of vehicle issues.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I don’t see what the big deal is. I attached my coax to my oil dipstick. I can make contacts all around the world on 100 watts. Only had 2 engine fires. I just make sure the radio is off when I check my engine oil. I used my knowledge I gained from my amateur extra test to make it work. I will posting my design in the next QST.
I have true dual exhaust pipes on my car, its an H pipe long exhaust system, Don't you think it would work better if you used the exhaust system? joking but not joking, why not use the exhaust and design it to be used as an antenna:sneaky::giggle: true covert operation

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have true dual exhaust pipes on my car, its an H pipe long exhaust system, Don't you think it would work better if you used the exhaust system? joking but not joking, why not use the exhaust and design it to be used as an antenna:sneaky::giggle: true covert operation

Right, a basic dipole antenna. Just use an insulated section for the crossover pipe.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Back in the day I used to install antenna's for UC vehicles on the rear package shelf. For UHF whips we would put a tissue box over it. For VHF some cars back then had rear windows with a slight crease in the middle so it went up along that. I have seen aftermarket mirror antenna's and 6x9 slotted wave speaker antenna's but none work as well as the package shelf. When cars started to come in with rear defrosters with the wires embedded in the glass we had to rethink the location. The DEA had a special mag mount dual band antenna that looked like a CB antenna.
I even did a curb feeler ant for a Police Chief who wanted to stay UC. It was a nice radio mounted in glove box and I have never seen one since, it was basically a MX mobile (with MX radio modules) the radio was made in Germany. MCX10 maybe?