Mounting Antenna Outside Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinHartigan

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys I have a problem and I dont know how to deal with it. So basically I need to mount my antenna outside a room in my house. There is a window in that room that slides horizontally. I was going to drill a hold through the stucco then get a grommet and the **** it up real good. The problem is I don't want it to be permanent like that.I want to be able to grab it and bring it somewhere. It doesn't need to be grab and go but and I want to be able to grab it in like less than 5 minutes. I can keep my window cracked all day because it is extremely hot and the ac is on so yeah. Does anyone know of anything that I can do to run it through the window and have some kind of device that seals the rest of the window.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

ColinHartigan

Premium Subscriber
Here is a couple of options for getting coaxial cable through the window, while keeping it sealed to keep that precious cool air inside:

MFJ-4601 Antenna Cable Feed Through MFJ4601
Diamond MGC50 Feed Through
Comet CTC-50M Feed Through CTC50M

As for mounting the antenna, have you thought about one of these:

Valor BNCSCRS Suction Cup mount
Suction Cup Window Mount - Cellular Accessories For Less

I have a magnetic mount to mount outside on a air conditioning unit(non window ac). will these feedthroughs affect any reception and do they support all bands. Is it basically regular antenna cable because I dont want any loss of quality or not being able to pick up all the freq. i usually pick up. Can you explain that

ColinHartigan

Premium Subscriber
Just place foam in the gap. I use it to seal around a window AC unit. Any hardware store has that grey insulation foam

I dont have a window ac forget i even said ac im talking about getting a antenna cable through a window with out drilling through a wall but thanks for the help anyway

doublescan

window seal

Try the foam like they said, it'll work. If you've never seen a window a/c seal-kit, just go into the big box or hardware store and check it out. Big thick foam insulation, it'll squeeze around the cable in the window frame, and keep the air inside.

ColinHartigan

Premium Subscriber
Try the foam like they said, it'll work. If you've never seen a window a/c seal-kit, just go into the big box or hardware store and check it out. Big thick foam insulation, it'll squeeze around the cable in the window frame, and keep the air inside.

i cant fit coax cable in the window frame and I cant foam insulate it because the windows opens and night to suck cold air in

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It'll work fine. All coaxial cable will have a certain amount of loss, the flat coax will have some additional losses, so it likely won't be the best choice.

The foam idea would be a good one. Use a piece of wood and either drill a hole for the coax, or make a notch. Insulate the parts where the window touches, and where it meets the frame with foam. Cut another piece of wood to drop in the window track to keep it closed/secure. When you want to open the window, remove the piece of wood in the track and slide it open.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Getting the antenna outside the house will likely increase performance enough to overcome any minor cable losses you'll see.

Placing the antenna on top of an air conditioner unit might not be the best idea. It could be a source of noise, and placing the antenna close to it could create some issues.
Better choice would be to get the antenna up as high as you can, that will really increase performance.

ColinHartigan

Premium Subscriber
Getting the antenna outside the house will likely increase performance enough to overcome any minor cable losses you'll see.

Placing the antenna on top of an air conditioner unit might not be the best idea. It could be a source of noise, and placing the antenna close to it could create some issues.
Better choice would be to get the antenna up as high as you can, that will really increase performance.

i had it there today while I sat outside and it worked great alot better than inside the house

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well, there ya' go. The AC unit shouldn't cause interference, but that can't always be guaranteed. The AC motor shouldn't be an issue, but no telling what other electronics are in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.