• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOUNTING FOR UNIDEN 885

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerdaddy

ANYONE HAVE IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MOUNT THIS RADIO? I HAVE A LEASED 2019 BUICK ENCORE, SO DRILLING HOLES FOR A BRACKET IS NOT AN OPTION. THANKS FOR ANY HELP. BEST WISHES AND STAY HEALTHY!!

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I had a small car & there was no good options for mounting a CB -- the best I could come up with is stuffing it between the driver's seat & the center console... Held it firm enough, was easy to look down and see the channel, and wasn't a preeminent mount. The antenna was a mag mount.

sloop

I had the same problem years ago, except I was not allowed to mount a radio in the gov. vehicle. I found a radio bag that held my radio and would allow me to "hang" it on the back of the passenger seat or (in my case) over the installed radio mounts. Its called "Radiobag CB radio tote" for $12.95 at Walcott Radio. It worked like a charm for about 4 years, then I no longer needed it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
PanaVise Pedestal Mounts Used For CB & Amp; Amateur Radio

PanaVise

Ravenkeeper

On both of my Grand Ams, I used the dash screws to mount my radios. My '93 looked similar to the one below, there's a screw top-dead-center in the cubbie, which is where I mounted them. My '99 was very similar.

The previously mentioned radios were put into storage, when I moved overseas, until I finally installed them into my '15 Silverado.
In my '02 Grand Cherokee and '03 Neon, I ran a my walkie-talkie CB with a rubber ducky antenna, for my drive down from ID to SoCAL. Two separate trips, drove the Jeep down with wife/kids before/for Christmas, flew back up (by myself), and drove the Neon down after the new year.

For your leased '19 Encore:
- Is there a pocket/cubbie, like my Grand Ams, in the center console/dash?
- Are there any pre-existing holes in cubbie opening?

pdewees

Premium Subscriber
use a piece of sheet metal in the form C_________ that the C part is placed on the glove box and the Radio is mounted to the _______ part.
foam rubber or felt can be attached to the glove box side to protect it also very portable from a ham article. have fun

sloop

Please read his post! "I HAVE A LEASED 2019 BUICK ENCORE, SO DRILLING HOLES FOR A BRACKET IS NOT AN OPTION." I would assume that also means removing parts of the dash (car radio). Other than a bag or velcro in the dash I'm at a loss for solutions. Good luck and let us know what you finally came up with.

FiveFilter

I'll tell you what I do, for what it's worth.

I use several compact CBs variously in three vehicles: a Jeep for off-road hunting trips, a pickup truck for camping trips hauling a travel trailer, and a sedan for regular highway trips to distant places.

Except for such dedicated ventures, I don't use a CB. And because of this fact, I don't permanently mount my radios or their antennas in my vehicles where they would / could just be in the way.

This also is why I exclusively use compact-sized CB radios wired with cigarette-lighter plugs for 12vdc power, and magnet-mounted antennas for placement on the vehicles' outside metal surfaces that are appropriate for best performance and are easily placed and removed.

Now, to FINALLY get to the question at hand: where to mount the radios so I avoid any drilling or alteration to the vehicles. I do this by fabricating a base that is suitable for operating the radios independent of any vehicle mounting point. The base I have chosen to use is home-made: a 4X4-inch wooden post material that I cut to a convenient length, perhaps 8 or 10 inches long, and onto this mobile base I screw on the radio mount. When the mounted radio is placed on a flat surface, it can be positioned so that it can be adjusted and used while driving on the road.

Even though I could place the radio and its mount somewhere it would fit on the dash or on the front console or in a (if unoccupied) passenger seat, I choose to place the mounted radio in the rear on the center of the passenger floorboard where I can reach back and make needed adjustments. I must note that this location is not good in the sense of being able to adjust the radio frequency, which requires actually looking at the radio to do, the rear floorboard placement is good for getting the radio out of cramped spaces in the front. And it works well for me since I don't adjust the frequency while driving since I exclusively have my radios tuned to truckers' channel 19 while on a trip, so I have no need to see to adjust for other channels. I can, however, without looking at the radio, adjust the volume, the squelch and the RF gain knobs because my simple compact radios only have those three adjusting knobs. This makes it easy to "see" and adjust with my right hand even while driving by reaching rearward and "feeling" which knob I need at any given time. IE: the first in line is the volume, the second is the squelch, and the third is the RF gain.

I know this "solution" to mounting a radio in small cabins without drilling holes is suited for me, but perhaps for no others. Nevertheless, I hereby present it for anyone it might be of interest to.

warren

In a similar vein I have mounted CBs and scanners without damage by affixing the mounting bracket upside down on radio and screwed to a piece of plywood the width of the radio and slightly longer and then slip it between the console and passenger seat the seat belt bracket should slip between the board and radio. Sized properly it appears as I the radio is affixed to the console. Only good if no front passenger. The face of the radio usually is at height of console allowing viewing and access to controls.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
ANYONE HAVE IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO MOUNT THIS RADIO? I HAVE A LEASED 2019 BUICK ENCORE, SO DRILLING HOLES FOR A BRACKET IS NOT AN OPTION. THANKS FOR ANY HELP. BEST WISHES AND STAY HEALTHY!!

So, not a svelt radio.
Things like velcro and double sided tape are not a good idea. Heat will weaken adhesives and in an accident you have a 4 pound radio bouncing around.
Difficult to find lots of space in newer vehicles, so it's a challenge.

In the old days, there was lots of room under the dash. With smaller CB's you could use existing trim screws to hold the bracket. So many cars now are popped together, rarely any showing screws to use.

Seat bolt mounts are an option, but not sure how they'd do on a heavier radio like that, also your co-pilot may take offense.
You should probably look at these guys and see if something looks like it'll work:
Most of these are designed for lighter radios or radios with remote heads, but maybe you can find something that will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.