• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mounts needed for the hand rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
I have a 4th Generation 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and needing to see what mounts are available for the Hand rail. Might mount two remote heads, if can find good mounts.
Thank you
Ken

Attachments

• 20191022_085505.jpg
    20191022_085505.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 45

W5lz

I did something like this once. First stop was to the dealer's parts department. They typically have diagrams (for parts) for different areas of a vehicle. See what's inside that post. Since it's not all that large, I figure you will have a lot of fun running a cable(s) up through it. I'm not aware of any airbags in the front pillars, but There certainly could be. 'Nuther reason to see that diagram!
Also have mounted radio heads using velcro, the 'industrial' version of velcro and backed it up with super glue. Count on replacing the 'facings' that you super glue to! (Or a dash cover?)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Even if the airbag isn't in the post, the airbag in the steering column is going to hit anything mounted to that handle, and turn it into a projectile. Plus, having remote heads mounted there is going to block your view of traffic, particularly when making left turns.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Other/better places to mount radios in those trucks. Center console, if you have that model, or under the dash. Also, consider Ram Mounts or products from Panavise.
Full size American trucks are about as easy as you can get for installs.

As said, anything in the airbag deployment zone becomes a projectile.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
+1 on RAM mount stuff. I just ordered some of their stuff to finish a console for running multiple handheld and mobile scanners for testing and such.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Panavise...been running several of their InDash mounts in my 9th gen Sierra.

As a side note, the "new" body 2019 is actually the 11th generation. 4th gen would be 1988-1998 year models of C/K series.

W5lz

The remote heads mounted on my dash were not in normal line of vision for driving. They were still within glancing range so eyes off the road wasn't a problem. As for the air-bags deploying and hitting the head, in that situation I really doubt I could care less! While that head might be damages, nothing else in the vehicle (people) would be.
If you want to be P.O.'ed about something, how about the wreaths of flowers, air-fresheners, and other stuff hung from mirrors?? Or that one @#$ fly that loves the windshield in front of you and your face!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
The remote heads mounted on my dash were not in normal line of vision for driving. They were still within glancing range so eyes off the road wasn't a problem. As for the air-bags deploying and hitting the head, in that situation I really doubt I could care less! While that head might be damages, nothing else in the vehicle (people) would be.
If you want to be P.O.'ed about something, how about the wreaths of flowers, air-fresheners, and other stuff hung from mirrors?? Or that one @#$ fly that loves the windshield in front of you and your face!

You can be upset or offended that there are some of us pointing out the dangers (even though they were for the OP, not you...), and you can even make light of it if you want, but I will say that it is a proven fact that those objects can cause major injury to the driver or passengers...passengers you are responsible for if you are the driver. In some cases, injuries that otherwise would not have been sustained from the accident.

An excellent resource for being educated on the actual dangers is here:

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
can you say bad idea because the mounts will interfere with the operations of the airbag and possibly cause someone harm to yourself or others.
Appreciate it, but Airbags will come over on the front of any mount there, not behind it.
Thank you
Ken

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
I did something like this once. First stop was to the dealer's parts department. They typically have diagrams (for parts) for different areas of a vehicle. See what's inside that post. Since it's not all that large, I figure you will have a lot of fun running a cable(s) up through it. I'm not aware of any airbags in the front pillars, but There certainly could be. 'Nuther reason to see that diagram!
Also have mounted radio heads using velcro, the 'industrial' version of velcro and backed it up with super glue. Count on replacing the 'facings' that you super glue to! (Or a dash cover?)
Appreciate your comments
Thank you
Ken

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
Airbag deployment zone - avoid it. Mount them down low where they belong, out of deployment zones.
Appreciate it, but Airbags will come over on the front of any mount there, not behind it.
Thank you
Ken

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
Panavise...been running several of their InDash mounts in my 9th gen Sierra.

As a side note, the "new" body 2019 is actually the 11th generation. 4th gen would be 1988-1998 year models of C/K series.
Panavise hasn't caught up with these new one yet.
Thank you
Ken
and the new one is 4th Generation of these new ones..

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thank you
Ken

Wrong. We aren’t posting because we are just guessing, we are posting because we know we are sharing accurate information. Be wise and heed the advice.

Wish you all the best on your install.

a417

I'm pretty sure that any insurance carrier that found out during the subsequent inspection that you mounted stuff in the path of the airbag would find ALL KINDS of legal ways to not pay.

we do live in a disgustingly litigious society.

...but you're not going to have an accident, of course.

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
I'm in looking mode only, know all the dangers as this isn't my first rodeo . This is a very limited install with few options. Just wanted to see what might be out there in way of mounts.
Appreciate your comments
Thank you
Ken

KG5KS

Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty sure that any insurance carrier that found out during the subsequent inspection that you mounted stuff in the path of the airbag would find ALL KINDS of legal ways to not pay.

we do live in a disgustingly litigious society.
Never can tell
Thank you
Ken

W5lz

I'm not getting into the litigation thingy, that;s over my head. I do know that mounting things on top of a dash is certainly possible and do-able for most people. I think that's good in that your eyes aren't diverted from the road...much. After that it's a matter of how bad you want to mount the thing. I have had no problems with mounting radio control heads on the dash of my vehicles. Sure, it's taking a chance that something castastophic doesn't happen but you do that stepping into/out of a bath tub. Keep things 'real' as much as possible. Account for the possibilities as much as practical and go with it. If you are that worried about what -MIGHT- happen then just don't put the radio in the vehicle, your problem, not mine. Sorry 'bout that, but what else can anyone say/do?

Status
Not open for further replies.