Sentinel: Moved folder now Favorites gone

Computrguy

UGH!
OK, I messed something up. And I am sure I compounded it by trying to fix it myself.
I was cleaning up my folders as a general computer task. In doing so I moved the default Sentinel directory not realizing the consequences.
After moving it I opened sentinel and it created new folders and default files. I then tried to update the default folder in options. So I realized this was wrong. I see the folder where my profiles are and my favorite lists. I can not see and fav lists in sentinel. I was able to get all my profiles back though.
I moved the folder back to where it was and reopened Sentinel. Tried to set the default folder to where it was originally (I think).
So, I have my profiles but not the favorite lists in sentinel. Any ideas on how to get the fav lists back correctly?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you have sentinel showing you your profile right now, reading the scanner into sentin will populate it with whatever favorites are in your scanner.

But I would wait for others to come offer suggestions as there may be a better solution.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You could use your Windows Explorer to do a search for *.HPD files. Then copy all those files including the f_list.cfg into the folder that you selected in the Tools>Options.

For others seeing this, its best to not get too creative with Sentinel file locations. It will avoid issues down the road, especially with conflicting file names.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Do you still have your scanner programmed the way you want? Or close to it? If so, save that programming to Sentinel… I’m thinking a bit of a panic hit you when you were doing some computer housekeeping and realized you had lost your files. I’ve learned from an old saying that you shouldn’t go looking for trouble when everything is wiorking. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

Computrguy

You could use your Windows Explorer to do a search for *.HPD files. Then copy all those files including the f_list.cfg into the folder that you selected in the Tools>Options.

For others seeing this, its best to not get too creative with Sentinel file locations. It will avoid issues down the road, especially with conflicting file names.

It wasn't quite that simple. It did point me in the right direction. There is a f_list.cfg in every FL subdirectory and this is what you will see if you go into Sentinel. For whatever reason it does not use the f_list.cfg in the main directory. The subdirectory is where all the FL options for that profile are too. I have some manual fixing to do in each subdirectory (profile) but I have all the FLs back.
I found this out by doing the other suggestion and importing the existing radio config into Sentinel.
Thanks to all who offered advice.

As a side note, this exercise I was doing was outside of Sentinel and just basic folder cleanup/maintenance. Something I do to try and keep like projects in a similar folder. Silly me didn't think (more like wasn't thinking) moving those folders would impact Sentinel. It was only after the fact that I opened Sentinel and found the err in my ways. Live and learn.

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
It wasn't quite that simple...
As a side note, this exercise I was doing was outside of Sentinel and just basic folder cleanup/maintenance.
You are spot on! It took me many weeks of head scratching to learn that Sentinel, the scanner, and the file structures used by both are not your "normal" computer app! The global nature of the Favorite Lists was a hint. So for those of you out there about to jump into the scanner-with-Sentinel game, plan out where you want to install the software, then leave it there!
The flip side can also help: If in doubt and concerned you might "mess up" the memory of a scanner that is working fine, always make "read from scanner" your first action!
One final tip that has helped me greatly: Incorporate the Favorite List Number in your FL name. It'll save countless hours of frustration! Happy programming!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I found this out by doing the other suggestion and importing the existing radio config into Sentinel.
Thanks to all who offered advice.

That beats trying to locate files and replicating them, BUT if you have FLs that are not downloaded to your scanner, they cannot be retrieved.

From time to time, I will make a copy of the folder where Sentinel looks for files, just to have in emergency. Then I also have external backups too.