Movie set frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone know the frequencies used in and around Atlanta used by movie studios? I can confirm that use analog UHF radios, generally speaking. Thanks for any help you can provide!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, every time I've run across them they've been on the UHF Itinerant business frequencies. 464.500 and 464.550 are very popular. Nationwide licenses for a bunch of itinerant frequencies are very common for the companies that rent these radios out to the production companies.

ecps92

As other have indicated 450-470 and search. Don't rule out what YOU may think as an input as they use the 465-470 for simplex as well
Run two scanners - once you find them, add them to the other scanner and keep searching. Based on the size, they can/do run all 16 channels.

Once you find them, keep notes as generally it is a local radio shop they rent from and the same channels will appear, movie after movie after movie.

Examples from our New England area are at

Does anyone know the frequencies used in and around Atlanta used by movie studios? I can confirm that use analog UHF radios, generally speaking. Thanks for any help you can provide!

n1das

What ecps92 said.

Analog UHF Part 90 radios probably are most often used as they are readily available and without breaking the bank. The usage appears to be all simplex type operations as production crews are all on-site.

I would not expect to find digital radios in use. One drawback to using digital radios is there is always some amount of latency due to the digital processing on each end and results in delayed audio coming out of receiving radios. Any delay in the audio could potentially be an issue for production activities where timing of events is critical. Even with well designed public safety digital radio systems, the small amount of audio delay from end to end is such that the radio is no longer faster than a bullet.

Plain old conventional UHF analog radios on simplex seems to make the most sense for film production crews.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
CP-200 UHF seem to be the choice "go to" portable for the reasons above. Even the CP-200D has an unacceptable processing delay on analog FM. All the movie/TV crews in midtown ATL I see (back prior to the shutdown) had them. Never bothered to do a close call though.

ecps92

IT can be fun monitoring, especially if a Chase or explosion scene.

With a sound stage next-door, on the old NAS Base, we tend to get lots of activity and they love to use the old runway [for now] to build sets

CP-200 UHF seem to be the choice "go to" portable for the reasons above. Even the CP-200D has an unacceptable processing delay on analog FM. All the movie/TV crews in midtown ATL I see (back prior to the shutdown) had them. Never bothered to do a close call though.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Was working a festival "back in 2019 when we were allowed to go outside" in Chattahoochee Hills near Bouckaert Farms. Lots of time to kill so I sat in my truck and my co-worker and I were using Close call and he stumbled upon a hot wireless mike in the 170MHz range. Turns out it was some filming for a Netflix series going on there. Found out they rented most of the grounds. Not sure if it was "Stranger Things" or something else, but it was very colorful to say the least.

rayvelcoro

These are some channels I picked up on a recent shoot here in ATL:
Movie Set (closed) at Atlantic Station Sept 9-10 2020:
Channels: 461.0875 c254.1 (ch1), 461.2375 c103.5 (ch2), 451.8125 D754 (director), 451.8000 D411, 467.88125 c151.4, 466.1875 c123

I agree with the posters who mention just doing a 451-470 Mhz scan (or spectrum sweep of some type) along with a scan of the extremely commonly-used low power, itinerant, and handie-talkie factory-default UHF freqs when you're nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.