Moving Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Going to be near 32nd street and Baseline area so I can be closer to my job (gonna LOVE that 5-10 minute commute, yeah baby!) and I have a question for anyone else in that area... I know that it's much better to monitor the RWC on a IR site rather than the simulcasts, so I was thinking I could program my 796D to monitor the South Mountain IR which should give me the local goings on with Phoenix PD and FD units as there's a good chance at least one 400 unit radio will affiliate with the IR site. I will also be close enough to pull in the Sky Harbor IR also, which at times will also carry Phoenix PD traffic. Has anyone else had good luck using the IR sites in that area? Might be cool to host a Sky Harbor IMS feed, for any live newsworthy incidents at the airport... :)

-AZ

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Hi AZ,

Welcome to the neighborhood. I have lived at 32nd and Baseline for 5 years. However, I will be moving out in April.

One great thing about this area is that you are up high enough to get some really good monitoring.

You will still be best monitoring Phoenix PD on Simulcast A. I will have issue with multipath as you will be in range of several Simulcast A towers.

I rarely monitor the South Mountain IR, because I have never heard any traffic on it. 400 does not affiliate to that site. You will hear 400 on Simulcast A or C. Last week I decided to listen to the South Mountain IR and it is silent. I need to do some more research, but I think it is offline. There are no active control channels, and at a quick check it is not showing as a neighbor site to either Simulcast A or B. I will confirm this later, but I think the new South Mountain High Site 106 has replaced it. I have listened to the new site 106 a few times since it has come online and I have not heard any traffic on it, certainly not 400 PD.

It is nice to be in range of Sky Harbor. I have talkgroup 1198 Emergency Dispatch in my scanlist all the time. They announce any fire or medical dispatches to Sky Harbor on this talkgroup. I also have talkgroup 1190 IMS 1 in the scanlist all the time. They will work any aircraft emergencies or other major emergencies on this talkgroup. The other talkgroups on this system are not very exciting. Nothing else affiliates to the Sky Harbor IR other than airport radios. You will not hear any PD talkgroups on this system.

Have fun scanning in your new neighborhood.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Hi AZ,

Welcome to the neighborhood. I have lived at 32nd and Baseline for 5 years. However, I will be moving out in April.

Wow, just curious do you live in an apartment or a house? I'm moving into an apartment that the current tenants are vacating in April. That would be crazy if it was yours.... small world.

So South mountain is a no-go, good to know. I'll see if Simulcast A or B works worth a damn on my dinosaur 796D once we get settled in. I know we already have a PD feed but a feed of the PFD K decks and Sky Harbor IMS would be a good thing to have I think. Someday I'll have the money to upgrade my scanner, but not for a while after this move is done.

Where are you headed to? Staying in the Phoenix area or leaving the valley?
-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.