moving to Culpeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogbobo

hey guys, I'm moving to Culpeper County next month and I wanted to see if anybody lived around the area and if there was anything good to listen to :)

railfanjjf

CulpeperCounty Inquiry

Culpeper County has a good System. They are coupled with Fauquier County and Rappahannock County has recently moved on this system. go to the database, click virginia, then Culperper County for all of the frequencies and talk groups. I listen to the system here in Nokesville, va. good luck...railfan jjf

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
With a quick look at that system it looks like you are going to have to upgrade to a digital scanner (for any police/fire comms on the system). I would recommend the PSR-500/600.

vsp5151

Welcome to the area

Welcome to Culpeper. I live there but don't listen to very much on the scanner. Like someone else said you need a digital scanner now to pick up the P25 system used by the County and town. The fire department simulcasts on their old low band frequency of 33.82. One of these days I can buy a digital scanner. I have an Motorola Astro in my company truck (P25) which operates on UHF but I have not found anything else interesting to listen to on UHF.

pogbobo

thanks for the welcome ... I checked out the county system a few weeks ago and decided I needed to upgrade my scanner arsenal lol ... I'd like to stick with Uniden but those new PSRs look mighty tempting :)

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
The biggest thing with GRE is that they are rolling out CPU/DSP updates all the time with features we ask for. They actually listen to the people about what they want. Their customer service is also second to none. To me the PSRs are plain out the best scanners out there today. My 996 isn't bad but I still think the GREs sound better. This last update helped with the digital systems a lot but I still think the PSR decodes digital better and also the sound is a lot better. You can read my personal review of the digitals on ScanVirginia (in the "scannist corner").

Last edited:

pogbobo

do you know if there is an active STARS tower in range of central Culpeper co?

vsp5151

STARS in Culpeper

In addition to Fork and Thornburg, Hogback Mountain puts a very strong signal into Culpeper. Independent Hill, which is part of the Northern Va area should also put a fair signal into Culpeper.

gcgrotz

Hi Pog:

Fork Mtn STARS booms into Culpeper, no problem. Look forward to maybe catching you on one of the area Ham repeaters. Culpeper's trs has a cool tg that connects to SIRS on 39.54, you can hear all over the region when anyone uses it. I get up to the northern end of Madison from time to time and switch it on when I'm there. Depending on where exactly you land and if you can get an antenna up, you may be able to monitor Albemarle also.

Just a thought, from what I've been reading lately, if I was buying my first (or even second) digital scanner, i think I would buy the GRE. Having said that, I still love my '396.

pogbobo

Hi Pog:

Fork Mtn STARS booms into Culpeper, no problem. Look forward to maybe catching you on one of the area Ham repeaters. Culpeper's trs has a cool tg that connects to SIRS on 39.54, you can hear all over the region when anyone uses it. I get up to the northern end of Madison from time to time and switch it on when I'm there. Depending on where exactly you land and if you can get an antenna up, you may be able to monitor Albemarle also.

Just a thought, from what I've been reading lately, if I was buying my first (or even second) digital scanner, i think I would buy the GRE. Having said that, I still love my '396.

sounds good, sometimes I hop on 2m or 440 ...

I'm still torn between the two models, we'll see what I'm in the mood for when the paychecks start coming in lol ... I'm looking forward to see what I can draw in from the surrounding counties ... I'm still gonna miss SW VA tho, good folks down here ... but I'm sure there are plenty up north too :)

Not sure what that exactly means, but welcome to RR and the VA forum. The more the merrier!

Unfortunately for Culpeper, it is fast becoming another DC bedroom community.

Yes, welcome to the forum ... I hope it's not as weird as you say it is :D

and no DC or NOVA for me ... living in Clppr and working in Clpper :eek: :D

cj57548

And for something a little different.....

Welcome to the area, I'm a little south of you across the river.

If you want something a little different from the public service frequencies, try the Prince William Communications LTR system. It is hard to beat the business systems for entertainment.

EA

pogbobo

hey everyone! quick update

it has been over a year, and I'm adjusting to the area ok ... it's no southwest VA though :)

I am absolutely loving my pro106, and i can get Fork Mtn STARS flawlessly ... but i cannot get even a hint of Hogback, Thornburg, I-Hill, or any other site for that matter! :(

any suggestions on expanding my STARS monitoring?

(also, when I do a limit search on my pro106 it won't hit the right 2.5khz spaced freqs? so I'm having a hard time searching for the freqs used by stars, any tips on that?)

W4UVV

GRE search range fixed step spacing

hey everyone! quick update

it has been over a year, and I'm adjusting to the area ok ... it's no southwest VA though :)

I am absolutely loving my pro106, and i can get Fork Mtn STARS flawlessly ... but i cannot get even a hint of Hogback, Thornburg, I-Hill, or any other site for that matter! :(

any suggestions on expanding my STARS monitoring?

(also, when I do a limit search on my pro106 it won't hit the right 2.5khz spaced freqs? so I'm having a hard time searching for the freqs used by stars, any tips on that?)

GRE (RS) has determined what the step spacing will be for a frequency search range and you cannot change it. This has been a major complaint of mine about my GRE PSR600. My Uniden 996T and 996XT allow the user to select various search steps, i.e., 6.25, 12.5, 25 khz., etc. Of course whatever step spacing selected for a search range will cause different step spaced signals to be off from their exact frequency but at least you have the choice of selecting different step spacings when doing a frequency range search. I don't have the Uniden HT models but I suspect they also offer that feature.

If you wish to noticeably increase the reception range of your HT replace the poor gain factory stock antenna with the Austin Condor antenna. Grove Enterprises is one source who sells it.

Status
Not open for further replies.