Moving to DE

Status
Not open for further replies.

maansman

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone -

I am moving to Newark, Delaware within the next few months, and I cannot wait to start some scanning. I live in San Antonio, where all of the Police/Fire/EMS are all EDAC digital, not the APCO 25 digital, so, there are no scanners that can receive them....they just upgraded a few years ago from regular Trunking.....The only way to monitor was to get an actual radio, which the news media folks were allowed to purchase...

I tried searching the archives, but I hope someone can help me with a few quick questions...

I mostly montior Police/Fire/EMS.....are they just Analog, trunked or digital? I have to buy a new scanner, and I want to make the right purchase once....

Thanks again in advance.
- Mark

h8tdigitalradio

Feed Provider
maansman said:
I mostly montior Police/Fire/EMS.....are they just Analog, trunked or digital? I have to buy a new scanner, and I want to make the right purchase once....
Hello,

Welcome to the First State! Fire/EMS/State, Co, Muncipal PD's are Trunked and Digital using P25 Voice. Some Fireboard comms are Analog. The State uses a SmartZone System for each County. It is hoped the info provided will aid in your purchase choice.

Dave AKA The Tripzter

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually we should also say which trackers will do the job...

On the RS side, the PRO-96 or PRO-2096

On the Uniden side, the (recently discontinued) BC296, BC796, the newer BCD396, and of course the 996 will all do the digital systems.

Something to note: if you ever decide to do any milair, the RS models can be opened up with software, but the performance isn't always the best.

Re computer control: the RS models cannot be computer controlled - only up/downloads are possible. The Unidens all have a fairly wide range of software for control, logging and more.

We have extensive pages on each of these models in our Wiki - just click on the word in the blue toolbar, scroll down to the right until you see Uniden or Radio Shack models. Click on the desired link, and you'll be taken to an index page that lists articles on each of them.

73s and good hunting...Mike

[edit] Be prepared for a bit of sticker shock - or have your cardiac medication handy - the digitals ain't cheap - altho you might catch a good deal on someone upgrading to the new 996...just a thought.

Last edited:

maansman

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help............I just purchased the Uniden BCD396T at $519.99 .....OUCH! But, what the heck............I can always bag my lunch for a few months.

- Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.