Moving to florida radio questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCRADIO

Hey everyone..i'm moving to Florida clermont county..i need to know what can i listen to down there etc pd ems fire i have a desktop pro 2018, and pro-82 and a motorola systems saber

is that good? or are they digital down there?

where can i find ten codes and such for florida?

thanks any info will be great.

gcr33

You will need a digital capable scanner for Lake Co. They have a 700-800 mhz P25 system in use throughout the county with all PD's on it.
If you have an 800 SABER not only will it not work, should you program it and it gets stung by the system administrator it will be a brick.
Most of Florida's 10-codes are standard throughout the state with the exception of Miami-Dade Co.
There are signals besides 10 codes such as a sig 4 for a crash.

gcr33

is the fd on the 700-800mhz too?

I believe everything is on the trunk system although there might still be some inital dispatch on the old channels.

I know that I was traveling by an incident on the turnpike a few months ago and the Fire Rescue operation was on the trunk system.

radiomanNJ1

Umm, no. Only a handful out of 67 counties do, and some of those that don't are light years away from doing so.

I certainly don't think saying only a handfull do is correct. Start in Monroe and work your way up the East Coast. Polk, Seminole, Osceloa, Orange, Lake, among others. There may be one Flagler that is not trunking.

Starting on the other side Collier and working your way up at least to Hernando.

Okeechobee, is one of the few that do not.
Glades Co. SO is using the state system (why I have no idea).

In the North West there are a few that are not using sometype of trunking. It appears that only a few are not using trunking.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I'm referring to counties using a digital system for routine, everyday traffic (not systems that are CAPABLE of digital traffic). Polk almost, Lake yes, and on the west coast, there's just Sarasota - and no, I'm not tallying up the whole state, just the ones you referenced. Again, only a handful of those you mentioned are operating using digital for everything. Most of those are using 800, not the 700/800 split system like Lake County's.

I drive from Tampa to Jefferson County almost every night, and whether I take US19 or I-75/I-10, I need a digital scanner for TWO of the fourteen counties I travel through. Maybe not what everyone would consider a "handful," but certainly not a majority as our friend from California pointed out.

Last edited:

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
Bolt has a good grasp of this topic

I'm referring to counties using a digital system for routine, everyday traffic (not systems that are CAPABLE of digital traffic). Polk almost, Lake yes, and on the west coast, there's just Sarasota - and no, I'm not tallying up the whole state, just the ones you referenced. Again, only a handful of those you mentioned are operating using digital for everything. Most of those are using 800, not the 700/800 split system like Lake County's.

I drive from Tampa to Jefferson County almost every night, and whether I take US19 or I-75/I-10, I need a digital scanner for TWO of the fourteen counties I travel through. Maybe not what everyone would consider a "handful," but certainly not a majority as our friend from California pointed out.

well worded and accurate... the 700/800 split systems are low in numbers, but slowly gaining some interest by counties who are almost ready to make the changeover from analog to digital systems. I understand that the system is quite expensive, and Lake County has numerous tower sites. Lake County has a working 700/800 and it is working very well for them. I only wish their signal was stronger, in order for me to pick-up comms with more clarity. I am approx 10 miles north of the Lake - Marion County line, with-in Ocala city limits, and it seems the 700/800 system has a very small overlap into Marion. Thats most likely why Lake requires so many towers... my educated guess is that the signal may be transmitted over shorter ranges. I have tried various discones and 3 different yagi's, even a yagi suited for 700 mhz reception, with little noticeable improvement. I would hope that few county's make the move to 700/800, as many in the hobby may begin to loose out on distant coverage monitoring.

my local scanner buddies say the same thing...

anyone can pick up VHF
mostly everyone can pick up UHF
many can pick up 800
but only some can pick up 700/800

proximity and transmitted signal power play crucial roles when monitoring a 700/800 system, other key factors exist including, but not limited to, the scanner and antenna you use to monitor this system.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
To NYCRADIO... I suggest a good digital scanner if your going to be in the Clermont area. Its just a matter of time before more and more counties leave their analog systems and go digital, mostly upgrading to digital 800 from what I am seeing in central Florida. Few seem to be upgrading to the newer 700/800 systems, but then again, time will tell. The reason I suggest using a good digital scanner, is because of the current rate at which these counties are changing over to the digital transmit format. I personally monitor with a Radioshack Pro-106 handheld and I enjoy the quality and transportability. If traveling is your thing, a highly suggest a handheld, and many counties you visit will most likely either have an 800 mhz trunked system in use, or they may very well soon go towards that band in the future. Please keep in mind, that being a Florida resident, does not entitle you to use your scanner in your vehicle... there are pretty strict laws governing that type of use, and its illegal to use in your vehicle unless you fall under certain exceptions. You should read up on those Florida statutes before making the decision to use it while in a personal vehicle, but still, portability was a key factor for my purchase of the Pro-106. Best of luck to you on the move.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Ditto. While digital systems certainly aren't in the majority at the moment, it would be unwise to purchase an analog scanner UNLESS you live in Podunk County (any county that uses conventional public safety freqs) and have NO plans to travel elsewhere.

radiomanNJ1

The original question appeared to be if he needed a trunking scanner. I never said the ones I mentioned are all digital. There are quite a few around the state and more to come. Why get something that will not do the job only to have to trade it up shortly? However on the east coast you can go from Monroe, Browsrd, Palm Besch, Martin, St. Lucie as having Motoroa digital on line
The West coast has a few, Lake and Orange,and some Seminole are there also.

hazmat216

Premium Subscriber
Lake County is all digital (P-25). Polk county will be changing soon. They are in the process of installing new radios and opening their new communications center. I am having trouble deciding if I should go with BCD996xt or GRE psr600.

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
my suggestion, to anyone (in the scanner hobby) moving to this state, would be to bring with you, or plan on making the purchase of, a good quality, up to date, digital capable, rebandable, trunk tracking scanner. Wether your preference is a base model or hand-held model... a newer style, readily available modern scanner will make your monitoring methods more enjoyable, now and in the future.

These new scanners on the market today are quite intense, as they are a step forward in scanning/monitoring technology... they will still pick up all the standard bandplans, all the old anaolg systems, and they are capable of being upgraded via dedicated websites. They are also usually able to be tweaked and programmed using scanner programming software which is also available for purchase on the internet, which makes them quite desirable by most scanner enthusiasts.

gcr33

Very well put. Digital is all that they are selling it seems. These systems will never be like the old highpower VHF/UHF systems. This allows the reuse of the freqs. a county or two apart. It is better to wait a little longer and buy the right one rather then regret your purchase. There are used ones out there.

my suggestion, to anyone (in the scanner hobby) moving to this state, would be to bring with you, or plan on making the purchase of, a good quality, up to date, digital capable, rebandable, trunk tracking scanner. Wether your preference is a base model or hand-held model... a newer style, readily available modern scanner will make your monitoring methods more enjoyable, now and in the future.

These new scanners on the market today are quite intense, as they are a step forward in scanning/monitoring technology... they will still pick up all the standard bandplans, all the old anaolg systems, and they are capable of being upgraded via dedicated websites. They are also usually able to be tweaked and programmed using scanner programming software which is also available for purchase on the internet, which makes them quite desirable by most scanner enthusiasts.

NYCRADIO

okay guys thanks for all the info one more thing will the pro-197 pick up the nypd fdny stuff i may get this scanner before i move

Status
Not open for further replies.