Moving to Galveston County

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
FlashSWT said:
I also joined the HoustonScan group. Should I be getting my StarNet updates from there or does the RR database stay pretty much in sync with Myles list?

They stay in sync. RR database is easier to read, but Myles list is more extensive.

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
FlashSWT said:
We'll want to get a digital capable scanner so it looks like it'll either be the RS 20/96 pair or the new Unidens 996/396.

I also joined the HoustonScan group. Should I be getting my StarNet updates from there or does the RR database stay pretty much in sync with Myles list?

They are pretty much the same, except for a few Talkgroup descriptions.

FlashSWT

Alright, I just got home with four new scanners, two each of the Uniden BCD996T and BCD396T. Now I get to set them all up.

Back to the differences between Myles' list (http://home.houston.rr.com/freqzone/freqs/star-net.html) and RR (http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=38) Myles has more frequencies listed for both the Texas City and Galveston sites them the database here does. I guess it doesn't really matter since these will all do CC only trunking though right?

EDIT: Hmmm, except for the fact that Myles has the primary CC for the Galveston site as 868.6625 which isn't even listed for the Galveston site here on RR.

Last edited:

FlashSWT

Wow, so I'm finding lots of differences between the two lists the more I look. For starters Myles has a bunch of extra TGs listed for Texas City that aren't here on RR and he lists Industrial Mutual Aid as being 55376 while RR has it as 53680 (which is Kemah FD 1 on Myles).

Signed, Confused in Galveston County.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Myles gets information from many sources as do we (here at RR). The difference is that unless someone tells us (through a submission) the only other way changes can be made in STARNet is an observation from a RR Admin who lives there. That pool of possibility was lowered by one when I moved. :lol:

I guess what I am saying is, when you verify something is wrong or missing in the RR DB, submit the change. If you find something wrong in Myles' list, let him know.

FlashSWT

Thanks Lou, I guess I just assumed most members of the HoustonScan group would also be members here. I did submit a single TG missing here when I heard it in use last night.

To summarize your statement: it isn't safe to assume that either list is accurate. Both lists have different information wrong that still needs to be sorted out.

I guess the thing that surprised me most was the frequencies not matching up. In my inexperience that is something I have no clue how to figure out which is right and which is wrong.

SCPD

QRT
FlashSWT said:
Thanks Lou, I guess I just assumed most members of the HoustonScan group would also be members here. I did submit a single TG missing here when I heard it in use last night.
They are. We send Lou out on safari every 6 to 18 months so that the rest of the country enjoys the same "DB admin" coverage. :) Eric Carlson does a very good job of keeping the RR DB updated. Some differences are a matter of opinion so you can't expect the two lists to agree 100%.
-rick

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
rfmobile said:
...We send Lou out on safari every 6 to 18 months so that the rest of the country enjoys the same "DB admin" coverage. :)
Ha!

I am sitting here at the dining room table and looking at the 4" of snow on the back patio and wondering about that "safari" comment.

bpckty1

"I am sitting here at the dining room table and looking at the 4" of snow on the back patio and wondering about that "safari" comment.

Maybe a surfin' safari to Hawaii?

Status
Not open for further replies.