Moving to OK - Edmond Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4fmz

I'm moving to Edmond in the coming weeks, bringing with me my arsenal of receiving equpiment, including my HomePatrol.

I'm looking through the postings, and seeing that I will likely need upgrades to my HomePatrol to be able to fully receive some of the local systems. Here is my problem: I have all Apple products - nothing with Windows, so I can't run the Sentinel software.

Would anyone in the OKC area be willing to help me out? As in, connect my HomePatrol to a PC and do the updates? I'll spring for lunch...

Thanks,

K4FMZ

Last edited:

k4fmz

Thanks but using VM will cost about $250, then buy and install windows. I'm just wanting to know if anybody near OKC will hook up my Home Patrol to their PC and run the upgrades.

If I'm going to have to spend that kind of cash, I might as well buy a used laptop.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Thanks but using VM will cost about $250, then buy and install windows. I'm just wanting to know if anybody near OKC will hook up my Home Patrol to their PC and run the upgrades.

If I'm going to have to spend that kind of cash, I might as well buy a used laptop.

Not saying you should set up a VM, just curious - why do you say the VM would cost $250?

VMWare Fusion (what I have used for years) is only $60, I run WinXP, Win 7 and several Linux distros in it and haven't had any problems with anything I've tried to do including radio and scanner programming.

VirtualBox is free, I've seen posts from people who use it successfully, though I've not tried it myself.

Parallels is another pay-for option, never used it either, still only $80 not $250!

I got the OEM copy of Win 7 Home Premium from Newegg for $100.

Of course even $160 (including Windows) is a bit of overkill if you don't anticipate further upgrades or reprogramming, but it's sure handy having all the software readily available for a quick tweak whenever I want.

(Okay... Where are those links coming from? I didn't make any links in my post!)

plaws

Premium Subscriber
VirtualBox is free, I've seen posts from people who use it successfully, though I've not tried it myself.

Completely unhelpful but I use VirtualBox on my Macbook Pro to run W7 for radio stuff and I use VirtualBox at work on my Ubuntu workstation to run W7 for radio stuff. VB is "free" but the catch is that W7 is free for me as well (employer has site license or whatever MS calls it).

Even has no issues with a USB-RS232 dongle ... just don't sleep host or guest and expect it to work right once awoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.