• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

MP3 Player for my daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

racin06

Well, my 11 year old daughter wants an MP3 player. Of course, she would love one of those $400 iPods that also play videos; however, that isn't going to happen. Any recommendations and brands/models and what web sites have good pricing. Thanks

Sac916

Premium Subscriber
racin06 said:
Well, my 11 year old daughter wants an MP3 player. Of course, she would love one of those $400 iPods that also play videos; however, that isn't going to happen. Any recommendations and brands/models and what web sites have good pricing. Thanks

a cheaper iPod ?
The shuffle or Nano.

or

Sony PSP, get online via WiFi, plays media (mpeg/avi) videos, mp3 player, and vid games.
Uses memory stick pro duo ( i picked up 1GB for $40.00 )

bna92

One nice feature of the iPods is that you can set and lock the maximum volume. Good idea for protecting 11-year old ears.

P

ProBob

bna92 said:
One nice feature of the iPods is that you can set and lock the maximum volume. Good idea for protecting 11-year old ears.
The same can be done with the PSP.

Bentley

I purchased THIS ONE from radio shack. Its an awesome unit, sound quality is EXCELLENT! Packed with great features including am/fm radio & voice recorder. I HIGHLY recomend this player, for the price I think it cant be beat! I have about 300 songs in mine and it is still not filled up. They also have THIS ONE which is 512 MB as compared to the 1 gig I have.

My unit gets beat up, dropped, and tossed around a lot and it is still going strong! It comes with a clear rubber protective case, which I definitley recomend using.

Let us know your decision! Good luck!

whowey

Got my wife an RCA Lyra so she could use it working out. She is trying to wear it out.

I like the fact you load the somgs on to it with a generic USB-mini cable and a windows explorer window. No need for fancy software, or special docking stations.

The memory is pretty small(128k) and she has about 50 songs on it and its almost full. But I used a high bit sampling rate(128k+) so the song file are kinda large.

I also got her the Belkin fm transmitter. So she can use it in the car, or on the stereo in our office. Works very nicely.

With an extra set of NiMh batteries, the MP3 player,the Belkin transmitter, and a neoprene carrying case its was in the neighborhood of $100.

Dubbin

Premium Subscriber
Pick up a Dell DJ 30gig on ebay while you can still ge tthem new. Great little MP3 player for a nice price. I got mine for $235 new. If you want something cheaper then you can get a 1gig Sandisk for about $100 at bestbuy. They are pretty good little MP3 players.

racin06

Thanks for the replys. I'll check these out. My wife was teasing me today saying that I would never spend $400 on an MP3 player but I would spend $400 or much more on a scanner or amateur radio in a heartbeat. I guess she got me on that one.:lol:

Thayne

Premium Subscriber
You can get a Sandisk 1GB for $75.00. It runs on 1 AAA bat for 19 hrs. and it will play.mp3's from any source without the crappy software sony uses. I-pods are overpriced and break easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.