MPSCS- Ann Arbor no TG activity on 396T help

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepyoucool

Greetings,
I am in Ann Arbor, picking up absolutely no TG traffic on the MPSCS. I was down in Ohio since 2010, things have changed up here I see. I'm picking up the control channel, I have it in search mode, also tried scan mode with a few TGs.

I created a new system;
P25
855.28750c

I have 396T
Firmware 3.02.02, hasn't been updated since I can't find my cable today of course.

I have searched the threads for a few hours here and can't find any obvious answer. I'm sure someone else can give me a hand on this productive day here in the white bliss!

Last edited:

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The control channels, as of this post are: 855.0875 MHz. and 855.2875 MHz. They are working and traffic is moving across that site right now as I listen to it. Make sure you site is programmed correctly as "Project 25 Standard" and that you have only put in those two control channels; no other frequency programming is necessary for the Washtenaw Simulcast system. Also, be aware that this site is scheduled for "rebanding" in the next few days; so the frequencies may be changing soon.

As for your firmware, assuming you made a typo, you are already up-to-date as the latest release for the BCD996T is 3.02.00.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCD996TFirmwareUpdate

Last edited:

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
3.02.02 is the latest so one dowm
did you put in the custom band plans?

You do not need custom bandplans for the the Uniden BCD series scanners; they are filled in directly upon receiving the control channel signal for the first time.

Sorry, I didn't realize until I reread his original post that it's a BCD396T handheld and not the mobile.

keepyoucool

Next to no signal

Thank you for clarifying W2.

Well it's great that my new place has next to no signal. I had to stand by the window to start to get anything. What is the general coverage level of the system in this area? I am by 94/Stone School fyi. I just have the standard antenna that comes with it, might be time to change.

I lived 1/2 mile from a MARCS site in Ohio so I could always get everything due to the elevation, not here

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
the fact that i need it for my county does not count?
cc's in the 853 area

You ONLY need custom bandplans for Motorola Type-II systems that have been rebanded in order for the radio to know where the voice channels are located. A true Project-25 system, such as the Michigan MPSCS system hands out that information from the control channel and therefore do NOT need to be programmed with a bandplan.

I do not know what system you're listening to in Florida, but it sounds like they still have analog channels and it's a Motorola Type-II system if you require custom band plans.

After a quick look at Charlotte County, Florida; yes, you DO NEED the custom bandplans for that system as it is indeed a Motorola Type-II system and NOT a true Project-25 system.

Last edited:

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Well it could be one of a few things. First and foremost, you could be in a hole where your new place is; however, given the saturation of the Washtenaw County Simulcast system, I'd really not think that's too likely, but yet still possible.

Second, you could have a REALLY strong cell site signal near you, which completely wipes out the receive of these scanners on 800MHz. I'd say to take a drive a few miles away and see if the reception picks up. I'll be will to bet you that there's a cell phone tower VERY close to you and that's why you have zero signal at your place. If that's the case; you're basically screwed... Another way to test is to listen for other control channels in the area. Washtenaw County still has their old analog system on the air for public services and data; give a listen to this system and see if it comes in clear or has a load "growling" sound with each transmission. If it does; then you've certainly got some cell site interference at your new location.

Ann Arbor-Washtenaw County Government System Trunking System, Ann Arbor, Michigan - Scanner Frequencies

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Regards,

Jerry, W2GLD

Well it's great that my new place has next to no signal. I had to stand by the window to start to get anything. What is the general coverage level of the system in this area? I am by 94/Stone School fyi. I just have the standard antenna that comes with it, might be time to change.

I lived 1/2 mile from a MARCS site in Ohio so I could always get everything due to the elevation, not here

wtp

396T

from what i see in the db for MI you will need the custom band plans for the system
do you know how to set them up?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
from what i see in the db for MI you will need the custom band plans for the system
do you know how to set them up?

To reiterate what w2gld has said a couple different times you DO NOT need custom band plans for MI!
Additionally your questions/comments have to do with Florida, not Michigan.

Last edited:

wtp

396 T

the 396 is not like the 396xt
since some of the systems freqs are in the 851-854 range he could try it
when i try to custom search my own county i get a flashing i1616 or i1680 and no audio it just flashes
i have to make a system and put in the custom band plans to hear anything
it worked fine in the 866-869 band. there is no band plan to the custom search ranges.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
WTP, what works in Florida doesn't work here in Michigan. Ive programmed many 100's of radios for people and in Michigan what you have been told three times works here! I own a 396T as well, it works fine without the rebanding tables.
This thread was started in the MI forums by someone asking for info in MI not Florida.

Appreciate your input though to try and help nevertheless!

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The reason you must program these custom tables is because the system in Charlotte County is a hybrid analog/digital, Motorola Type-II system. It is NOT a true "Project-25 system" with a 9600 baud control channel and full C4FM or CQPSK digital modulation.

In your case, you program these custom bandplans to tell the scanner where to look for the voice channel... These Type-II systems use a traditional 3600 baud control channel and can contain both analog and digital talk groups. In addition, the channel bandwidth of these systems is typically 25.0 kHz.; where as a "TRUE" Project-25 system has a channel bandwidth of 12.5 kHz. and in more modern systems, a channel bandwidth of 6.25 kHz. These limited bandwidths require full digital C4FM or CQPSK modulation. Also, a "TRUE" Project-25 system control channel provides a great deal more information to the subscriber radios listening to it. For example, exactly what channel to listen on for the voice traffic, what NAC code to use, etc.

With the recent rebanding changes; any time you see a system that is a "Motorola Type-I/II" system, you will be required to enter those bandplans manually. For Uniden's that easy as there are only two entries. For Radio Shack/GRE models, that requires additional tables.

If you come across the "Project-25 Phase I or Phase II" system, you need not program anything other than the control channels into your scanner; UNLESS, and this is in rare instances, a custom bandplan has been chosen; usually with a VHF or UHF Project-25 system; but again, this is rare.

Okay, I think we've beat this topic to death; we'd like to hear back from the original poster as to his testing/results.

the 396 is not like the 396xt
since some of the systems freqs are in the 851-854 range he could try it
when i try to custom search my own county i get a flashing i1616 or i1680 and no audio it just flashes
i have to make a system and put in the custom band plans to hear anything
it worked fine in the 866-869 band. there is no band plan to the custom search ranges.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber

Could be the area, I find that there is a little trouble picking up the system from Jackson Rd to about US23 on I-94. I plow that stretch of 94 and always have my PSR-800 with me and usually have trouble decoding the system in that area. Try moving your scanner around to a different location and see if you get a better decode.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Second, you could have a REALLY strong cell site signal near you, which completely wipes out the receive of these scanners on 800MHz. I'd say to take a drive a few miles away and see if the reception picks up. I'll be will to bet you that there's a cell phone tower VERY close to you and that's why you have zero signal at your place.

There is a cell site at State Street which is very close to where the OT memtioned he was by Stone School area less than a half mile from each other. Come to think of it there is another cell site at Platt Road which is ever closer to the OT.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

N8DRC said:
There is a cell site at State Street which is very close to where the OT memtioned he was by Stone School area less than a half mile from each other. Come to think of it there is another cell site at Platt Road which is ever closer to the OT.

There are several cell sites in that area.

What type of construction is the building you are in? Have you tried a general coverage antenna, instead of an 800MHz specific one?

Last edited:

nsrailfan6130

Keepyoucool,

Just wanted to chime in on here, You will want to program 853.2500 for your main CC. 855.2875 & .0875 are Alternate CC's. Just my .02.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.