MPSCS microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb8zxe

I was bored so I thought that I would try to find out what info there was out there for the MPSCS microwave backbone. It turns out that there is more information on fcc.gov than I know what to do with. I started with the Western U.P. and got a few counties complete. I have no idea if this is accurate or not but after writing down a lot of information this is what I have so far. It looks like the backbone is Alcatel T1 microwave radios. This sorta helps to explain why some sites have more dishes then others. I plan on finishing the U.P. and connecting it to the L.P. but I don't have plans on doing the entire system. I will keep the file updated on this link http://kb8zxe.homelinux.net/mpscs-04.kmz

Thanks

Bob

kb8zxe

update

Okay, the whole GoogleEarth thing wasn't working out for me. I gave Google Maps a try and it worked out better. The end points of the microwave links are just dragged into place but should be good enough. You can now find the distance between microwave sites too. I wasn't aware of any MPSCS tower in Wisconsin but the records show that there is one in Marinette WI so I added it. here is the link to the map http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=111836140878141814227.00048b0ef10c277c74182

kb8zxe

From what I can tell this is only a microwave link to Wisconsin, there is no 800Mhz licensed freqs in Marinette.

fireresq2825

From what I can tell this is only a microwave link to Wisconsin, there is no 800Mhz licensed freqs in Marinette.

That is correct, only a link to WI. There is also a hop into Ohio as Monroe Counties last site is co-located with a Lucas County site just over the border, and the 800 RF is on directional antennas looking back in to the county.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I didn't think that Ohio link was ever activated? Last time I checked, they were going to make the tower on 18's station in Toledo link to MPSCS but that never progressed.

fireresq2825

There is a link to the MARC system, and that is located at the Station 18 site. It's a control station on a yagi pointed at a site in downtown Toledo and backhauls to the MPSCS interface over the microwave (I put it in). I don't remember what TG it's on.

fireresq2825

I hear that it's been used a couple times, but not real often. Generally I don't listen to the system much aside from the work or a couple select Monroe Co. fire TG's. Unless there is a problem, then I may listen in to figure out what is going on.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Appreciate the insight. There also was mention of 18's tower being added to the Monroe Co simulcast - did that ever occur?

n8rdz

Blackhawks
Premium Subscriber
So, if you're on the Isle Royale National Park you're SCREWED! lol The MPSCS doesn't cover the entire state. Michigan got ROBBED! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.