MPSCS Motorola Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskmonger

And you believe that BS......

What is BS about it? I do agree it's a promotional video for Motorola, but if an agency had an aging radio system and decided to join MPSCS I'm not following how that is BS. Every agency who is upgrading their radio system in Michigan is joining this system, which means better interoperability with surrounding counties who are also on the same system.

marcp90

Premium Subscriber
Every agency who is upgrading their radio system in Michigan is joining this system, which means better interoperability with surrounding counties who are also on the same system.

Except for Oakland County ��

Last edited:

diskmonger

Except for Oakland County ��

Yeah, they are one of the few exceptions. They have sunk so much money into their OpenSky system that they are embarrassed to admit it was a mistake. Meanwhile they operate on an island isolated from everyone.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, they are one of the few exceptions. They have sunk so much money into their OpenSky system that they are embarrassed to admit it was a mistake. Meanwhile they operate on an island isolated from everyone.

They are, supposedly, considering shifting over the MPSCS.

Sent via Tapatalk

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber

As someone who has used the system for almost 10 years, I can also say that it's not BS. I know some of the people in that video, and they wouldn't have done it if they didn't believe what they were saying. Yes, it's a promotional video produced by Motorola, but it is a great system. First statewide P25 trunked system in the country.

szron

I use the system every day and I like it a lot so idk what you are talking about.

The only issues I have is that there should be more training and understanding among users how this system works but I guess that's everywhere.

Also as for Oakland County. That can't come soon enough.

RayAir

They are, supposedly, considering shifting over the MPSCS.

Sent via Tapatalk

If Oakland Co switched to the MPSCS that would be very good news.

And to comment on OpenSky, I think Oakland county has one of the only working O/S systems.
It took years to get it to that level. The coverage and voice quality is very good, but it's pretty bad when you can't even directly talk to MSP since they're on the MPSCS. MSP patrol areas are within jurisdictions that use O/S and the supposed patch TG had a stipulation of "We don't know if it's going to work, there's no guarantee".

Southfield's analog PD dispatch frequency was patched to O/S but it was very nasty to have it set as a scan priority 1 or 2.

I'd bet if Oakland did switch over, they'd make good use of encryption since they've enjoyed the privacy of O/S.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
If Oakland Co switched to the MPSCS that would be very good news.

And to comment on OpenSky, I think Oakland county has one of the only working O/S systems.
It took years to get it to that level. The coverage and voice quality is very good, but it's pretty bad when you can't even directly talk to MSP since they're on the MPSCS. MSP patrol areas are within jurisdictions that use O/S and the supposed patch TG had a stipulation of "We don't know if it's going to work, there's no guarantee".

Southfield's analog PD dispatch frequency was patched to O/S but it was very nasty to have it set as a scan priority 1 or 2.

I'd bet if Oakland did switch over, they'd make good use of encryption since they've enjoyed the privacy of O/S.

The coverage is good because they have 40+ sites around the county. For the money they spent on getting all those sites operational.... they better have the best coverage of any radio system in existence.

When was Southfield PD ever patched to any O/S talkgroup??

RayAir

The coverage is good because they have 40+ sites around the county. For the money they spent on getting all those sites operational.... they better have the best coverage of any radio system in existence.

When was Southfield PD ever patched to any O/S talkgroup??

It's been like that for years. Any LE OpenSky radio central county and lower can select "SO_POL1" as a scan TG (priority 1 or 2).

That group wasn't in the home profile, but it was available in the scan list.

Southfield also has an OpenSky radio in dispatch to monitor surrounding agencies.

Now I'm not sure you could talk to Southfield on SO_POL1, but you could monitor their analog dispatch on OpenSky.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
It's been like that for years. Any LE OpenSky radio central county and lower can select "SO_POL1" as a scan TG (priority 1 or 2).

That group wasn't in the home profile, but it was available in the scan list.

Southfield also has an OpenSky radio in dispatch to monitor surrounding agencies.

Now I'm not sure you could talk to Southfield on SO_POL1, but you could monitor their analog dispatch on OpenSky.

Interesting... they must have a permanent patch from their analog to that talkgroup that few know about. I can tell you they don't have a radio in dispatch. All they have as far as Opensky goes is what is on the radio console... one on All dispatch, one on Mabas D, and one for southfield fd. None of the three can be changed to a different talkgroup.

RayAir

They tried to improve interop with surrounding areas , a bit over a year ago they added some additional patch TGs under the "MACWAY" profile.
In-county incident TGs were added under the "OAKTAC" profile also in addition to the already existing CW groups and the ALL_DISP group you mentioned.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
As someone who has used the system for almost 10 years, I can also say that it's not BS. I know some of the people in that video, and they wouldn't have done it if they didn't believe what they were saying. Yes, it's a promotional video produced by Motorola, but it is a great system. First statewide P25 trunked system in the country.

Same here. The biggest issue I have with the system, is that everyone defaults to using big M radios, instead of other brands.

At a recent meeting, I was very vocal about not using the ADP encryption, that M was touting. I specified that it is M only, and automatically excludes anyone using any other brand.

Sent via Tapatalk

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
szron;2712083...The only issues I have is that there should be more training and understanding among users how this system works but I guess that's everywhere...[/QUOTE said:
When we made the switch in 2007, one person from each agency had to attend "Train-The-Trainer" class so we could train everyone else in our respective agencies how the system works & how to use the radios. When we (dispatch) consolidated & moved in 2010, that pretty much went by the wayside; our new director didn't want me to train anybody, so our new dispatchers get a sliver of a fraction of what we got initially. All the dispatchers hired since 2010 (which is now a majority of our staff) know nothing about how the system works. It's a shame. I've tried to pass on as much as I can on the fly, but when I retire, that's all going out the door with me.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
When we made the switch in 2007, one person from each agency had to attend "Train-The-Trainer" class so we could train everyone else in our respective agencies how the system works & how to use the radios. When we (dispatch) consolidated & moved in 2010, that pretty much went by the wayside; our new director didn't want me to train anybody, so our new dispatchers get a sliver of a fraction of what we got initially. All the dispatchers hired since 2010 (which is now a majority of our staff) know nothing about how the system works. It's a shame. I've tried to pass on as much as I can on the fly, but when I retire, that's all going out the door with me.

How does the director balance that idea with the DTMB requirement of MPSCS user training?

Sent via Tapatalk

RayAir

Same here. The biggest issue I have with the system, is that everyone defaults to using big M radios, instead of other brands.

At a recent meeting, I was very vocal about not using the ADP encryption, that M was touting. I specified that it is M only, and automatically excludes anyone using any other brand.

Sent via Tapatalk

Pretty sure Relm was adding ARC 4 and Harris offers it as Encryption Lite. Both are designed to work with Motorola ADP.

RayAir

As an example, the Harris XG-75 ships with Single Key DES and Encryption Lite included.

So, if you only need one DES-OFB key or you need to communicate with radios using Motorola ADP, you're good to go.

Multi-Key or AES would be an additional cost.

Golay

I appreciate the different postings about Oakland County's radio system. Something I've never really known much about.

Status
Not open for further replies.