MPSCS Radio ID Structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkman123

Premium Subscriber
My understanding that the first digit in the seven digit radio ID represents the zone. However many of the IDs I see here in the central Upper Peninsula start with a 9 and they are local which in this area is either zone 5 or zone 6. They seem to be associated with fire, EMS and police units. Can anyone enlighten me as to exactly what units have a radio ID starting with a 9 that does NOT represent their zone?

RayAir

My guess is they ran out of radio IDs.
You figure after Zone/County Code/ there's only 4 digits left and even those are split up by state, county/local, and fed IDs.

Looking at TG 2007 MSP REG2D (dispatch) the consoles 2000xxx. A lot of the radio IDs begin 225, 250, 263, and 282 but a lot begin
950, 963, and 982.

I've even seen 8 digit IDs beginning with a 10. My guess is they just ran out of IDs and added zones 9 and 10.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I was told a while back that the 9 was used for new 700Mhz-capable radios entering the system post-700MHz. (In other words, after MPSCS added 700Mhz channels to sites.)
But as RayAir stated, part of the issue was that they were running out of RID's. Same with the 10.

hightime

The RID's are a challenge in the beginning, and there are many. Currently I have over 4800 of them. First you, should forget the zones #. Marq county RID's uses 652xxxx and 952xxxx, Alger uses 502xxxx and 902xxxx, Luce uses 548xxxx and 948xxxx.
The 2nd and 3rd #'s are the countys which you are receiving. If the last four #'s fall between 0000 and 2999 it will be a state agency, State Police, DNR, MDOT etc.. If it falls between 3000 and 8999 it will be County agency. If the last #'s end with an even # it will be a portable radio and if it is odd it will be a mobile unit. The last # does not apply for dispatch centers or Bases.
On a side note, Marq Co use TG 7050 (52P911) to dispatch 12 Law agencies and TG 7068 (which is listed as 52F911 but should be listed as 52FE911) dispatches 33 EMS/Fire agencies.

kirkman123

Premium Subscriber
The input from all of you is very useful. I agree that the 9 has to be used when they ran out of 4 digit numbers in the various zones. The system obviously grows and grows. I read somewhere that it’s the largest radio system of its type in North America.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
I've started to see RIDS in Metro Detroit suggesting zone 11 and even have 1 lone RID that suggests zone 15.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Zone 9 was used as a replacement for the actual zones that ran out of available numbers. Since the county number is still accurate, you know which county that radio calls home. (It sounds like they have had to expand that concept, which is not surprising.)

When you see a 00 as the county, if my observations are correct, that is a dispatch center that is tied in by microwave link, not using a normal radio to the repeater site.

Status
Not open for further replies.