MPSCS Sites/Talkgroups 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
This will be the discussion thread for all things relating to the MPSCS TRS in 2019:

MPSCS Wiki:

Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) - The RadioReference Wiki

Database: Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS)

Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

MPSCS Sites/Talkgroups 2018 (Closed)
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/mpscs-sites-talkgroups-2018.364170/

MPSCS Sites/Talkgroups 2017 (Closed)

https://forums.radioreference.com/m...rum/346383-mpscs-sites-talkgroups-2017-a.html

MPSCS Sites/Talkgroups 2016 (Closed)

http://http://forums.radioreference...rum/327647-mpscs-sites-talkgroups-2016-a.html

MPSCS Sites/Talkgroups 2014 (Closed)

http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...rum/281179-mpscs-sites-talkgroups-2014-a.html

MPSCS Sites/Talkgroups 2013 (Closed)

http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...rum/256796-mpscs-sites-talkgroups-2013-a.html

Year 2012 older threads Pages51-61: http://forums.radioreference.com/mi...um/44279-mpscs-discussion-2012-closed-51.html

73's

Ron[/QUOTE]

Muxlow

Super Secret
New groups in the last 24 hours off the St.Clair site
TG 12393
TG 12873
TG 12947 Possible Interop
TG 22554 Possible EMS
TG 22555 Possible EMS

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
Hello all,

I was wondering what kinds of distances everyone else is hearing from. I don't receive anything from outside Genesee County on the MPSCS system.

I have a radio shack pro 196 base station, with a firestik msb-rx antenna about 30 up in the air outside. I'm running off 20 feet of brand new coax.

I can hear the whole system and all talkgroups for Genesee County crystal clear. I have Saginaw, Tuscola, Lapeer, Shiawasee and Oakland programmed in the same with way ( each in a different scan list) I have control channels and complete frequencies lists programmed, just like I do for Genesee County. but never receive anything from outside Genesee County.

Would really like to hear Lapeer, Tuscola, Shiawasee and Saginaw Counties.
I can pick up analog frequencies from those counties but nothing in the trucking system.

I live in Flint off Richfield Rd and Dort HWY along side Kearsley Lake.

If you have any ideas please let me know. I am pretty new to trunking. but I have been listening to scanners for 20 years prior and just got back into the hobby.

Thank you for any info you can give me

hockeyref2

Getting 14101 off the Grayling tower. Wexford County Radio ID's. Sounds a lot like jail radio traffic.
(opening/closing doors, doing something with a diabetic tray, refering to a 'senior officer xxx' decision.

5306 " 7 engine 1 to central, all station 7 units are clear of west log lake, and returning to the station". Grayling Tower, Kalkaska County radio ID's. Kalkaska fire station?

hockeyref2

Pro-197 scanner?
Do you have a wildcard search setup?

Hello all,

I was wondering what kinds of distances everyone else is hearing from. I don't receive anything from outside Genesee County on the MPSCS system.

I have a radio shack pro 196 base station, with a firestik msb-rx antenna about 30 up in the air outside. I'm running off 20 feet of brand new coax.

I can hear the whole system and all talkgroups for Genesee County crystal clear. I have Saginaw, Tuscola, Lapeer, Shiawasee and Oakland programmed in the same with way ( each in a different scan list) I have control channels and complete frequencies lists programmed, just like I do for Genesee County. but never receive anything from outside Genesee County.

I can pick up analog frequencies from those counties but nothing in the trucking system.

If you have any ideas please let me know. I am pretty new to trunking. but I have been listening to scanners for 20 years prior and just got back into the hobby.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

MPSCS, generally, carries traffic from a given county in that county. Anything beyond that requires an authorized radio affiliated to a tower that is allowed to carry the selected talkgroup. Some talkgroups are authorized statewide, but will not be carried on a tower without an affiliated radio having that talkgroup selected.

Traffic from other counties is not likely to be on the tower you are listening to.

Sent using Tapatalk

GeneseeCoMI

MPSCS, generally, carries traffic from a given county in that county. Anything beyond that requires an authorized radio affiliated to a tower that is allowed to carry the selected talkgroup. Some talkgroups are authorized statewide, but will not be carried on a tower without an affiliated radio having that talkgroup selected.

Traffic from other counties is not likely to be on the tower you are listening to.

Sent using Tapatalk

Not true, I pick up dispatch talkgroups from the counties surrounding Genesee Co on the Genesee Co simulcast all the time. Also the Holly tower carries all of the Livingston Co dispatch talkgroups (and other neighboring counties) full time too. A lot of counties do that with their main dispatch talkgroups, a so called "safety belt" in case their tower(s) fail.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Not true, I pick up dispatch talkgroups from the counties surrounding Genesee Co on the Genesee Co simulcast all the time. Also the Holly tower carries all of the Livingston Co dispatch talkgroups (and other neighboring counties) full time too. A lot of counties do that with their main dispatch talkgroups, a so called "safety belt" in case their tower(s) fail.
All of that requires selection with an affiliated radio. A county's talkgroups are, typically, carried on the towers that ring the target county. Many mobile users affiliate with a tower outside the county, due to having better coverage from that tower than a tower in their own county.

The pagegroups are a different matter, since they are mapped to towers by the NOC.

Sent using Tapatalk

hockeyref2

I hear things from all over, although my guess is that someone is roaming a lot of the time.. From Grayling, I have heard from the Soo to Detroit, Washtenaw county to Dickinson county.... Generally I hear Crawford, Roscommon, Clare, Kalkaska, Sometimes Otsego & Ogemaw counties.

Adding to what i said above about 14101, I am 100% convinced its jail traffic, with wexford county RID's.

I now use an SDR/Unitrunker/DSD+/Trunking Recorder setup to follow the grayling system and record it.... Hopefully that will help me ID some more groups. I bet I have over 200 group ID's (that at least an affiliation) that are not listed, but still unidentified.

hockeyref2

Grayling tower, TG 5509.. electrical power restoration work. The dispatch radio ID is shown to be Great Lakes Energy in the wiki (4000062). Field personnel had Charlevoix county radios ID's. One crew mentioned they were headed back to Waters if nothing else was pending.

Edit: 5497, 5500, some same radio ID's as above and power work discussion.

Last edited:

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
Don't keep them to yourself, share them with the group!

Haha, I should have said they are new to me, I don't think they are anything that is not already listed. Although some of them I cant find on the RR listings. Are the listings as accurate as I think they are, or am I really finding unlisted talk-groups?

If so I'd gladly share them just to find out what they are.

joeydizzle28

Joey D.

Sent using Tapatalk

I have each county programmed separately with its own control channels, frequencies and talk groups. I could very well be programming wrong, I'm programming in everything manually with tips from watching an instruction video on you-tube.

GeneseeCoMI

Haha, I should have said they are new to me, I don't think they are anything that is not already listed. Although some of them I cant find on the RR listings. Are the listings as accurate as I think they are, or am I really finding unlisted talk-groups?

If so I'd gladly share them just to find out what they are.

The database is a never ending work in progress, it's nowhere near "complete" and since it's user compiled, it may not be entirely accurate. If you see anything that's missing or inaccurate, send in a submission and the info will be added/fixed. Also several counties are switching to MPSCS this year and the next few years so we'll keep building it.

hockeyref2

/
I have each county programmed separately with its own control channels, frequencies and talk groups. I could very well be programming wrong, I'm programming in everything manually with tips from watching an instruction video on you-tube.

I have a Pro-106 which is the portable version of the Pro-197. I get one tower well, so I have that programmed as the trunking system. I then have different scan lists for different things off of that tower, I.e. my county Fire, my county Law Enforcement, neighboring county fire, neighboring county LE, MSP, DNR, etc. So, I only have 1 tower programmed but it covers multiple counties. I know you said you had a Pro-196 but I don't know what that is... Perhaps its a Pro-197? I have the USB programming cable and use PSREdit500 to program my scanner... way easier than by hand.

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
Yeah, Sorry slight typo, its a pro-197. I used the control channels listed on RR and programmed a talk group for each county individual, I'm starting to think I am receiving more than what I think but because this scanner allows me to talk tag systems they are coming up as county tagged even though its traffic from an other.

joeydizzle28

Joey D.
/

I have a Pro-106 which is the portable version of the Pro-197. I get one tower well, so I have that programmed as the trunking system. I then have different scan lists for different things off of that tower, I.e. my county Fire, my county Law Enforcement, neighboring county fire, neighboring county LE, MSP, DNR, etc. So, I only have 1 tower programmed but it covers multiple counties. I know you said you had a Pro-196 but I don't know what that is... Perhaps its a Pro-197? I have the USB programming cable and use PSREdit500 to program my scanner... way easier than by hand.

So when programming a talk-group, do put in the frequencies for a tower of the frequencies listed in RR by county?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
So when programming a talk-group, do put in the frequencies for a tower of the frequencies listed in RR by county?
The frequencies are for the tower/site. There will be a control channel, and alternate control channel(s). Most modern scanners, including yours, just need those programmed, not the voice channels. (The talkgroups you want to listen to are in different lists, within the system.)

The talkgroups (and pagegroups, where they are used) are carried on the voice channels, sharing them as assigned by the controlling computer. When a talk request is received, the controller sends out the voice channel assignment for the talkgroup, over the control channel.

A talkgroup can be carried on multiple towers, depending on the dispersal of users, and which towers/sites they are affiliated with. (For regular talkgroups, if no user on a site has a certain talkgroup selected, that talkgroup will not be carried on that site.) As an example, Livingston County Sheriff's Department radio traffic could be carried on the Washtenaw County sites, due to deputies in the southern part of the county being affiliated there. The same thing goes for Genesee County towers, due to deputies in the northern part of the county. But if no deputies, or other authorized radio, affiliated with Washtenaw or Genesee towers, have that talkgroup selected, then that radio traffic will not be on that county's towers.

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.