MPSCS tower freq question

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Long story short I loaded a new program into my Pro197 and monitored to see how things were working. I had one channel off the Washtenaw Co towers consistently come in garbled out of all the channels. I basically have a yagi pointed at one tower that I can actually visually see from my house and I get clear non-garbled transmissions with no simulcast issues consistently but last night one particular voice channel would pop up and the traffic on it was pretty bad. I wrote down the list of freq's that i saw popping up and checked them against what i had set up for tower CC's in the program and everything made sense as far as copying voice channels as i heard traffic, but time and again 851.175 on the Washtenaw "tower" was garbled. How can one VC be problematic out of the many with how Washtenaw's simulcast setup is arranged?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Couple possibilities come to mind:
1) That freq has just the "right" spacing to self cancel at your location.
2) The site you have the Yagi pointed at has that repeater out of service, leading to similar situation to #1.

Are you sure it was not encrypted?

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
One was definitely was not encrypted, it was a talk group I hear regularly which is what partly caught my attention in the first place. I'll pay closer attention just in case it was one that's encrypted and I just didn't realize it.

I'll keep an eye on it...I remember from past inquiries that the tower licensing/freq assignments were a little wonky for the Washtenaw Co tower's, but I'd have to go find those posts. I just thought it odd that one out of the many voice channels were problematic. maybe its a thing, maybe it was a fluke.

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
Not sure this is your problem but, I know someone who had a similar problem before they moved. In his case, it was a near by paging/cell frequency that was helping cause interference.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Well, interesting that you say that. The tower in question is on Bemis Road by us23 and there is a second tower at the site, presumably cell. The strangest part is that this only began to be noticed after dumping a new program. Last night I caught Metro Dispatch garbled on 851.175 and in the clear on other VC's. In all the passive monitoring while in my office, I never noticed any garbled transmissions prior to my "update" unless they were encrypted. All that this radio does is basically monitor the Washtenaw Co on MPSCS and a bunch of VHF stuff.

I have a TRX2 sitting right next to it. I'll keep digging and try to compare both radios on that same channel if I get time this week.