MPSCS Towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello I have a little issue that I am wondering if anyone on here can help me out with.

I am here in Lansing and going to the race tomorrow and on the way up here from when we crossed the border in Sault Ste Marie Ontario, I had my PRO 96 all set up with all the tower sites from there to Lansing and what I noticed is that I dunno if it is just me or if anyone else has the same problem but first I noticed that some or most of the tower sites that are listed here seem to be off frequency, like for example what is listed for Sault Michigan the freq I got a signal on is: 853.8375, instead of what is listed. The same was for the other tower sites along the way. Also even after trying to listen on my PRO 96 when the voice channels came up they were even off frequency, and I couldn't even hear any of the talking, all I heard was digital and like the voice channels showing up were off frequency.

So if anyone on here can maybe tell me if I am doing something wrong or if my PRO 96 doesn't for some reason receive these freq's which too me seem off like not receiving the correct frequency. Or did they do some rebranding and my PRO 96 cannot receive the voice channels like it should.

But when I just do a normal search between 851-854 MHz I hear the receive freq's for the tower sites just fine.

I was hoping to listen in to them on my way up and then on the way back to the border before we cross over.

So if anyone can help me that would be appreciated thanks.

I will be waiting for any replies to this post.

Thanks

W8VFD

Feed Provider
Almost sounds to me like the rebanded channel option in the software wasn't chosen, I only say this because the same thing that you're describing happened to me after the Ohio MARCS system here rebanded.

Hello I have a little issue that I am wondering if anyone on here can help me out with.

I am here in Lansing and going to the race tomorrow and on the way up here from when we crossed the border in Sault Ste Marie Ontario, I had my PRO 96 all set up with all the tower sites from there to Lansing and what I noticed is that I dunno if it is just me or if anyone else has the same problem but first I noticed that some or most of the tower sites that are listed here seem to be off frequency, like for example what is listed for Sault Michigan the freq I got a signal on is: 853.8375, instead of what is listed. The same was for the other tower sites along the way. Also even after trying to listen on my PRO 96 when the voice channels came up they were even off frequency, and I couldn't even hear any of the talking, all I heard was digital and like the voice channels showing up were off frequency.

So if anyone on here can maybe tell me if I am doing something wrong or if my PRO 96 doesn't for some reason receive these freq's which too me seem off like not receiving the correct frequency. Or did they do some rebranding and my PRO 96 cannot receive the voice channels like it should.

But when I just do a normal search between 851-854 MHz I hear the receive freq's for the tower sites just fine.

I was hoping to listen in to them on my way up and then on the way back to the border before we cross over.

So if anyone can help me that would be appreciated thanks.

I will be waiting for any replies to this post.

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Ok, I don't have the cable with me to update it but if that is the issue, is there something in the software (WIN96) to fix this or no. If so where do u go to do this.

So I can have this fixed for the next time if I ever come this way again.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
A. W8VFD mentioned about the 'rebanded channel' thing not an issue here in MI as opposed to OH. All you need to do is put in new frequencies and your done.

B. I can pretty much guarantee you what it is. Pro 96's over the years tend to drift off frequency as you say.
You'll have to open it up and be careful, find that VR4 potentiometer with picture of it down below - and with ONLY VR4 adjustment it will need to be tweaked I'm guessing ~ 10 % one way or another.
Yes I have done this a few times. Pause onto the known correct tower control channel frequency and adjust VR4 till you get as strong of a signal as you can, you'll be able to hear it get better.
Close the radio up, then do a WX scan to make sure they are still on the correct frequencies.
If not, back off the VR4 adjustment a tad. If I recall right it generally doesn't effect the other frequency bands typically.
See this - PRO-96 Internal Adjustments - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ok because I have no other issues with any other freq's or trunking systems I have listened to, I haven't been to Michigan here for a few years so haven't been listening. The last time I was here quite a few years ago for the Nascar Race I was listening to this MPSCS System with my PRO 96 with no problems (this is the only scanner I bring with me). I just noticed it today once I got into Sault Michigan and started making my way here to our hotel in Lansing. That the freq's I entered in here from the database once I heard the towers, they started sounding a little distorted like they were off frequency, so I did I actual search between 851-854 MHz and this is when I found the freq's were off like for example for Sault Michigan the CC posted in the database is: 853.825 and the freq when I did the actual search came up as: 853.8375. And same for other freq's for the other tower sites along the way. These freq's that came up for me where all strong signals and sounded clearer compared to the one I just mentioned for Sault Michigan.

All of the other freq's and systems I have been listening to they have all been right on freq not off. So just thought maybe my PRO96 wasn't able to follow a rebranded system.

So is it still a problem with my PRO96 or something else. Let me know

I will be waiting for any replies to this.

Thanks again

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Even more so positive on your last message, that vr4 needs adjustment. All be it based what you say, rather slightly.

SCPD

QRT
Ok but why would it just be doing this to just this system and everything else I have been listening to since I got this PRO 96 has been perfect with no issues and all those freq's were exactly as they should be and not off at all with everything else I have been listening to. I just find it weird.

Let me know.

I will be waiting for any replies.

Thanks again

W8VFD

Feed Provider
Guess that's what happens when I speculate without doing my homework, didn't realize it was a P25 Phase I system, would much rather have to mess with rebanding than tuning pots, lol.

A. W8VFD mentioned about the 'rebanded channel' thing not an issue here in MI as opposed to OH. All you need to do is put in new frequencies and your done.

B. I can pretty much guarantee you what it is. Pro 96's over the years tend to drift off frequency as you say.
You'll have to open it up and be careful, find that VR4 potentiometer with picture of it down below - and with ONLY VR4 adjustment it will need to be tweaked I'm guessing ~ 10 % one way or another.
Yes I have done this a few times. Pause onto the known correct tower control channel frequency and adjust VR4 till you get as strong of a signal as you can, you'll be able to hear it get better.
Close the radiuo up, then do a WX scan to make sure they are still on the correct frequencies.
If not, back off the VR4 adjustment a tad. If I recall right it generally doesn't effect the other frequency bands typically.
See this - PRO-96 Internal Adjustments - The RadioReference Wiki

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Hehe w8vfd ;)

Not sure coolguy but from my experience thats the problem. It's probably your getting such a strong signal where you were at that the problem isnt so noticeable.
If you put the scanner on the control channel frequency and pause it, you'll see the percentage of signal. My best guess is if it is typically 80% or higher it probably doesnt become too much a problem.
You say being only off .0125 so it's not too far off, probably isnt too much a problem until you get a weaker signal.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yah the towers were at 90% or a little over and it's when I had it on the actual CC Freq listed here in the database it was sounding a little distorted like it wasn't right on freq but then that other freq I told you when I did a actual search is what came up nice and clear and still the same percentage. And when I was scanning that bank with that CC I got (not the one from the database) It was decoding it and showing on my screen what Talkgroup was talking but I couldn't hear it, it sounded distorted or something to that effect. And this is when I thought maybe they did some rebranding of the system and for some reason my PRO 96 wasn't picking up or whatever the actual Voice Channel Freq's being used. It was showing the Voice Channels when they were talking but distorted and couldn't hear any talking at all.

So your saying that what you told me is most likely the issue and that's the only way to fix it even though like I said everything else as in all the other freq's are working like they should.

Let me know.

Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Ok not to sure lol but will agree with you. And yah just found it weird that only this P25 system is doing it.

Is this thing you are saying what is the problem or might be. I looked at the pic in the wiki and is it easy to do and will it effect anything else on my PRO 96 if I did this and what all do I need to do it. Not that I will do it right away since I will not be back here in the states for a long time and since this so far is the only system or freq's having this issue.

Let me know.

Thanks again

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
You'll need a small screwdriver size as used for use in tightening eyeglasses. If I recall right 'it shouldn't' effect the other frequency bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.