Mpscs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonnyhad3

Question, I'm new as can be and have been reading a bit but a long way to go. I live in Michigan and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to import the entire MPSCS system which is p25 into my bcd996p2?
And the scan the local county public safety.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
The MPSCS is a huge system. Importing something that large, then sorting through all the data to effectively listen to what you want to listen to can be a challenge, especially if you are just getting starting.

There is no harm in trying a few different ways to import things. Take notes along the way to help you learn how the scanner works when importing and organizing those imports. I'm not very experienced with the Uniden platform, but I presume you can do an import based on city, county, zip code, or select your own method. Maybe try a zip code type import to see what the radio imports and get a sense of how it works, and you can slowly zero in on how you exactly want to set your radio up. The biggest thing (it was for me anyways) is to not get frustrated! it sometimes felt like nothing ever worked how I wanted it to, so it took some trial and error, but it is very enjoyable to monitor once you start to get a handle on things. There are lots of people on here, much more knowledgeable than me, that hopefully will chime in. There is tons of information and help available on here.

Hit_Factor

I recommend just working with your County first. Then start adding adjacent Counties.

Eventually start working with regions.

I live in St Joseph, and visit Detroit frequently, so one of my regions is the I-94 corridor.

Another region scheme could be matching the State Police districts.

Sonnyhad3

The MPSCS is a huge system. Importing something that large, then sorting through all the data to effectively listen to what you want to listen to can be a challenge, especially if you are just getting starting.

There is no harm in trying a few different ways to import things. Take notes along the way to help you learn how the scanner works when importing and organizing those imports. I'm not very experienced with the Uniden platform, but I presume you can do an import based on city, county, zip code, or select your own method. Maybe try a zip code type import to see what the radio imports and get a sense of how it works, and you can slowly zero in on how you exactly want to set your radio up. The biggest thing (it was for me anyways) is to not get frustrated! it sometimes felt like nothing ever worked how I wanted it to, so it took some trial and error, but it is very enjoyable to monitor once you start to get a handle on things. There are lots of people on here, much more knowledgeable than me, that hopefully will chime in. There is tons of information and help available on here.
Thanks man, I imported the grand rapids simulcast but only get Kent county, do I have to set the radio different importing trinkets systems? In used Proscan to import. And I have a bcd996p2. Thank you

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure what you are calling trinkets, that is not something I have heard used with radios. Can you explain what you are wanting to listen to?

Sonnyhad3

I'm not sure what you are calling trinkets, that is not something I have heard used with radios. Can you explain what you are wanting to listen to?
Danged auto correct, trunked is what I was trying to say. I imported Kent county and Ottawa counties in Michigan. Grand rapids has a simulcast, I can't seem to get any of those transmissions. I'm sure something is not set right. I imported using Proscan.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
You might want to try scanning in ID Search mode first, if you aren't already. ID Search will receive any talkgroup available on the system, ID Scan will only receive the talkgroups you have programmed so if you don't have the right talkgroups programmed you won't hear them.

Sonnyhad3

I see it says id scan, haven't figured out how to change that so far. Back to the book! Thanks a ton you guys, like I said, brand new!

BSchaner

Premium Subscriber
Grand Rapids and Kent county have not migrated to the digital system yet, it is still being built which is why you won't hear much traffic on it yet.

Sonnyhad3

Grand Rapids and Kent county have not migrated to the digital system yet, it is still being built which is why you won't hear much traffic on it yet.
If I set the Audio to analog would I hear much then? That is if I figure that out!

Status
Not open for further replies.