MPT1327 in SLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Useing Trunker, I am receiving/decoding a couple of MPT1327 signals. Both show Site 0.

One is on 161.8000. It is ID'ed as system 4089. For freqs, all trunker is showing is LCn's 3 and 4. No freq breakout.

The other is system 4091, control freq on 161.9250. LCn's of 5 & 6.

Anyone have any ideas on these??

bchris

Marine Frequencies?

Gary,

I do have some info, but I'm afraid it just adds more confusion.

As indicated on the following US Coast Guard web site, these freqs are the ship's Rx for Ch's 24 & 86, respectively. :confused:

U.S. VHF Channels - USCG Navigation Center

Maybe you are seeing an image freq?
Maybe this web site is mistaken?
Maybe someone is using it illegally?

I do have a number of marine radios. Perhaps I could verify these freqs are used by them.
The marine radios can be set to use one of 3 channel assignment patterns - US, Canadian, and International.
They all use the same range of freqs, but the channel assignments are a little bit different.
The list on that web site shows only the US assignments, so it is possible that a radio imported from another area could use those freqs for something else.

-Brent

Last edited:

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
A good indication that these are images of UTA's 900 Mhz MPT1327 operations is the site numbers.

Site 4089 is Promontory, 938.425, and Site 4091 is Mt. Ogden, 938.45.

Gary's list of UTA frequencies

I thought of images also, but get the same results on three different radio/antenna combinations. And I've tried two different locations. This one has me scratching my head.

kd7rto

I thought of images also, but get the same results on three different radio/antenna combinations. And I've tried two different locations. This one has me scratching my head.

I can confirm 161.8 and 161.925 on both a pro-2006 and and an AR5000. Antenna is a 440 MHz beam (the best I can do right now, with no VHF on the roof). Azimuth for both is south south-east, aprox. 160 degrees from magnetic north. 161.8 is much stronger.

From what little I've decoded in the last couple of minutes, I have to take back my earlier assumption that these are images. The LCN's of adjacent sites (each other) don't match UTA.

Good catch!

kd7rto

I've determined the voice channels associated with site 4091 to be:

LCN 5 161.975 Marine 87
LCN 6 162.0 Marine 28

On each I'm hearing a cw id of WPOJ532. The license holder is MariTEL. Google can get you up to speed on what this company is all about. The attachments on the FCC database, related to action to deny renewal, may also be of interest.

Site 4089 hands off voice to LCN's 2 and 3. If the system is operational, and transmitters for these channels are actually on the air, I'm unable to hear them.

Besides the cw id's, the only traffic I'm hearing is a retransmission of UP&L's Salt Lake dispatch, 153.62 (both sites). Probably for testing, or to justify keeping a license for a system with no actual subscribers.

The traffic on 162.0 has been noted on the Utah forum before, and has perplexed many of us up until now. I think we can declare this mystery finally solved.

kd7rto

Unfortunately, license WPOJ532 does not give any indication of site locations.

The most logical locations for such a system would be Promontory and Lake Mountain.

I'd be very interested in what our friends in Utah County can hear. Both controllers? Only one? Neither? Any voice on marine channels 25, 26, 27, 84 or 85? If so, does it have a pl of 118.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.