MRRS System (MTA PD)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have logged radios in the range of 4250430 - 4250864 and have mostly been on 9650 (Zone 1 Nassau). There are some within that range that have also been on 9651, 9652, 9653 and 9654. From 6 pm yesterday til 8 am today, there were 25 different rid's on 9650.

Last edited:

ems55

Premium Subscriber
When a radio (subscriber) comes up on a talkgroup at a site, it has affiliated. Basically the subscriber is telling the system "Hey I'm here at Site X, and I want to listen to TG Y", at which point the system will start broadcasting that TG's radio traffic at that site. If the subscriber de-affiliates and there are no other subscribers at that site on that TG, the traffic is no longer carried.

There are exceptions to this rule, but they require the system admin to force traffic to be carried regardless of subscriber affiliation (or lack thereof) and are not commonly done.

So the bottom line is that if there are no radios requesting talkgroups at your local site, there won't be anything to listen to. The system is operating normally, and the site is not "disconnected" from the rest of the system.
Hey, great explanation ! Thanks

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
After a month of monitoring, comparing logs from my four RTL-SDR receivers running DSDPlus and some out of the box thinking. I have a pretty strong suspicion that the 9650 is the new Northwell EMS Dispatch TG (TG 304201 on the OneVoice system that used to be in the clear a few years ago) and 9651 is another Northwell channel (TG 300901 on the OneVoice system, it has always been encrypted). Based on the radio IDs, it is very likely the 9652-9655 are also Northwell EMS use as well.

The two talkgroups (304201 on OV and 9650 on 26E) do not always key up at the same time but when they do, they line up pretty consistently.

If anyone has friends with Northwell EMS, it could be an easy ID to see if they switched out Mototrbo radios to new radios.

KC2GSP

There's a rumor that Yorktown PD is switching over to this system pending the construction of a new site. Who knows what the validity is to that statement but I do believe they've purchased the equipment already

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Dear god. I hope thats just a rumor. I seriously dont know how they keep selling this system to local police depts. im not sure about depts in the south like eastchester, ardsley etc. But yorktowns VHF system seems to be working fine for them. Why move if it aint broke.. :)

A66 better hurry up and get their act together and allow local PDs on their system, MRRS might beat them...

KC2GSP

Dear god. I hope thats just a rumor. I seriously dont know how they keep selling this system to local police depts. im not sure about depts in the south like eastchester, ardsley etc. But yorktowns VHF system seems to be working fine for them. Why move if it aint broke.. :)

A66 better hurry up and get their act together and allow local PDs on their system, MRRS might beat them...
I'm looking at a copy of the Yorktown working budget for the changeover. I'm not sure if they're locked into, what clauses are in place, if they can back out etc.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
A few northern departments are considering moving to MRRS, Yorktown is definitely one of them. I have heard rumors that Ossining may be moving to the system, as well. Take that as gospel, though I believe it to be true considering I found an article from google that a $400,000 Police Radio Infrastructure project will be discussed.

Alarms50

If the P25 Phase 2 System had the capacity this would not be an issue to add additional agencies.

As it is now, the System supports all Westchester County Fire and EMS agencies along with the County BeeLine Bus System.

With only five channels available, there are only eight talkpaths (channels) for voice communications (one channel must be dedicated as the control channel). The issue is, there are NO FREQUENCIES readily available in the NY/NJ area in UHF or UHF T-Band that can be licensed to expand the capacity of the System. So, with only eight talkpaths available at any given time, that is how many agencies can access the System simultaneously.

When an agency licenses a UHF or UHF T-Band frequency (or VHF) that frequency cannot be reused for a radius of forty miles from that Licensee (Co-Channnel use). Frequencies adjacent to that frequency also need to be researched to verify that there would be no adverse interference to the current Licensee. The abundance of local agencies acquiring their own UHF or UHF T-Band Licenses (within forty miles of any Westchester County site) is one of the issues that has been problematic in expanding the capacity of the System.

In a perfect world, yes all agencies would be on the same system, but as can be seen, there are A LOT of issues that need to be looked at.

Alarms50

I have heard rumors that Ossining may be moving to the system, as well. Take that as gospel, though I believe it to be true considering I found an article from google that a $400,000 Police Radio Infrastructure project will be discussed.

If you look in the Village of Ossining Budget online for the Ossining PD, yes there is $400,000 in this year's budget for the MTA transition.

KC2GSP

If the P25 Phase 2 System had the capacity this would not be an issue to add additional agencies.

As it is now, the System supports all Westchester County Fire and EMS agencies along with the County BeeLine Bus System.

With only five channels available, there are only eight talkpaths (channels) for voice communications (one channel must be dedicated as the control channel). The issue is, there are NO FREQUENCIES readily available in the NY/NJ area in UHF or UHF T-Band that can be licensed to expand the capacity of the System. So, with only eight talkpaths available at any given time, that is how many agencies can access the System simultaneously.

When an agency licenses a UHF or UHF T-Band frequency (or VHF) that frequency cannot be reused for a radius of forty miles from that Licensee (Co-Channnel use). Frequencies adjacent to that frequency also need to be researched to verify that there would be no adverse interference to the current Licensee. The abundance of local agencies acquiring their own UHF or UHF T-Band Licenses (within forty miles of any Westchester County site) is one of the issues that has been problematic in expanding the capacity of the System.

In a perfect world, yes all agencies would be on the same system, but as can be seen, there are A LOT of issues that need to be looked at.
Great explanation

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Does anyone know what site Ardsley PD (TG 9555 and 9556) affiliates to? I would assume 81 Zone 3 Simulcast. But I've heard no activity.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
They are on Westchester County (81). I'm hearing them just fine.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
That's weird then. The signal is 100%, I'm getting Eastchester, Bronxville PD & MTA PD full well. Just not APD. Strange