MSP Annapolis Barrack Closes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It will be very interesting to hear what happens - if anything - to 39.14, which used to be the Annapolis barrack frequency. The article didn't mention much of anything about the radio equipment and antenna; in theory, with a little work it might be turned into a remote base or translator for 39.04 - to me that would be the smartest thing to do, given the state's money crunch. But as we all know 'intelligent decision' and 'state government' are almost oxymorons, hi

Time to listen more closely to 39.04 (Glen Burnie barracks) to see how they handle duties on Rte 50 - there's no way that low antenna is going to cover that far without significant coverage problems.

73 Mike

Anand

Premium Subscriber
I can still hear 39.04 dispatch (not mobiles though) from the Eastern Shore (Queenstown area) with my glass-mount 29" antenna, its not always super clear but they have certainly upped their transmission power/antenna/something. For reference, I can generally only pickup MSP mobile/car transmissions within 1-2 miles of the unit

doctordave

Mike, Are you noting any improved signal strength on 39.04 in your neck of the woods? You are reasonably close the the barrack, so you've probably always had a pretty good read on it. I certainly have noted a significant boost on my S-meter, consistently, for over a month now (and not on any other regional MSP freq). This is the case for all transmissions (at least the ones that I can hear), making me think it is less likely to reflect the barrack simply selecting a tower from a different location on occasion.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I haven't been checking on this recently; however the barracks is close to my home, that I can't tell anything. As I'm driving, I'm not looking at the radio <chuckle> Sri I can't help more there. However I have been noting a stronger signal on 155.73, which is supposed to be portables. I kinda doubt all of them are 1 watt jobs; on indoor antennas, they can't always be this strong. There's always a pulsing noise on the signal, though. Makes me wonder if I'm seeing the results of those new antennas in the back of the DMV - but they'd still be too low to cover the Rte 50 area. Puzzling. 73 Mike

Last edited:

Anand

Premium Subscriber
For the 155.73, I noticed yesterday as I was getting onto 97S from 695 I heard an MSP Trooper call in a tag/etc for a vehicle he pulled over on rt100 just west of 97. As per Google Earth thats roughly 3.75 miles as the crow flies, significantly more then the <1 mile range that someone else posted they should have (at 1 watt)

Status
Not open for further replies.