MSP Glen Burnie on 155.73

Status
Not open for further replies.

baydog

I'm hearing Glen Burnie on both 39.06 and on 155.73. The database notes that 155.73 is sometimes used as the primary for that barrack. I have 155.730 ID'd on the BC396 as Annapolis Repeater. This may be how radio coverage is being increased. If so , it is getting a good test of Rt 50 coverage today. The highlight a pedestrian stuck while trying to cross 50 near the Cape st. Clair exit this morning. The victim was flown to Shock Trauma from Sandy Point State Park.

David

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious how close you live to Cape St. Claire / Bay Bridge. Could it be the output from a vehicle repeater that you hear on 155.730? Also, there is a serious MVC with ejections on Rt 50 W @ Rt 2, yet I didn't hear much on any MSP freq - strange. It could have been because there was so much activity on AACo TRS that I missed the comms. Anywho, two "priority 1 A" patients were transported by ground almost immediately because MSP/USPP were grounded by WX. One pt was unstable and was transported to AAMC (the closest), but the docs there wanted the pt to go to UMMC. I never heard the resolution to that. Not sure what the "A" means.

Last edited:

baydog

I'm near Severna Park Middle School -which is just north of Benfield on Jumpers Hole Road.

I just put up an outdoor antenna so it might have been a repeater for a unit on I-97.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
155.730 is the Vehicle Repeater frequency for State Police, which is only 1 watt at the most. Basically what this does is retransmits the low band frequency to VHF high so the trooper can have out of vehicle communications since low band portables dont work so well.

It is not a stand alone high power transmitter.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have something of a mystery then - any ham worth his/her salt will tell you that 1 watt into a 1/4 wave on 2 meters (and 155 mhz isn't that far off) isn't going to travel more than a mile or so - if that - at best in terrain like we have.

I would tend to think of remote receive sites, but I've been on both 97 and 50 lately and didn't see any new antenna construction.

Interesting....73 Mike

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Some MSP vehicles have the option for the VHF side of the mobile extender to "bump" up in power. I believe this may be restricted to supervisor vehicles, and the purpose is to establish a larger area of portable-mobile-barrack coverage at major incidents encompassing larger areas. This may be why the signal seemed stronger that 1 watt.

Also, each barrack has a vhf-hi base station (equipped with barrack-to-barrack, vehicle extender, and NLEEF frequencies). Is it possible that the barrack was communicating directly with portables on the vhf-hi freq?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'll throw this one out there again: MSP has radio equipment in Annapolis both at the former Barracks J site on Taylor Avenue, and on the large tower at the MdANG Armory along Rt 50 (between Rowe Blvd and West St.) Most if not all of MSP's low band frequencies are licensed to both locations - not sure about the VHF freqs though. Who knows what frequencies are actually active...

Last edited:

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
I have never heard of them using 155.730 as a base station, however it is licensed for 300 watts for base station use, both at Annapolis and Glen Burnie.

Maybe they are doing something different and using this as a cross band repeater.

I have no clue and it is a mystery.

Nathan

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I live in Annapolis, and I rarely hear anything on 155.730. Even since the closure of the Annapolis Barracks this has not changed. How about this theory: A Trooper somewhere near your house in Severna Park uses his VRS on a traffic stop - or is driving in the vicinity and had forgotten to deactivate his VRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.