MSP Hockey Puck antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me what are the two round 8” diameter hockey puck antennas mounted on the roof of MSP squad cars in Macomb County?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me what are the two round 8” diameter hockey puck antennas mounted on the roof of MSP squad cars in Macomb County?

I live in Macomb County, Michigan and I've never seen anything like that. You say it was round correct?

I've seen something like this on the TV show "Live PD". They're used for the video feed to satellites. I'll ask around.

1626221187390.png

Hit_Factor

I see them frequently in Berrien County.

Yeah just like in the pic, except there are only two, they are on the back edge of the roof, they are round and black. Ok, so not much like the pic, but it's possible they serve the same function.

tdeater

I don't know about those counties, but m vehicle has 2 round black antennas like you describe, they are for the 800mhz radios in my vehicle. Just a different form of a whipless antenna. If I remember right, they are marketed more towards transit, like busses and such. So that would be my guess. I have seen GPS/MDT antennas look like that too.

afera15

W8AMF
Premium Subscriber
It's kinda hard to see but are you talking about those on the back of that car. I believe they are just more antenna for the AVL/MDT/Radio communications.

Attachments

• img-5672-scaled.jpeg
    img-5672-scaled.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 89

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
I think maybe one GPS & the other for MDC? There is also quite often a black cylinder-shaped antenna, about one to one-and-a-half inches tall, which is for the MPSCS radio. I've noticed a lot of county & city cars sporting these lately, too.

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
Believe one of the two black cylinder antennas Is used for the MDC Verizon Data Network. Could MSP be using the low profile antennas in question for vehicle repeaters?

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Believe one of the two black cylinder antennas Is used for the MDC Verizon Data Network. Could MSP be using the low profile antennas in question for vehicle repeaters?
I don't think they've used vehicular repeaters since switching to MPSCS.

Noah

Here's a better pic of them on a car in Oakland County. The trunk antennas surely are radio/MPSCS so it'd make sense the discs are for data.

Attachments

• 2121_cl.jpg
    2121_cl.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 71

fnnm1062

longtime member
Those are antennas for the vehicles, they have two different cellular connections on them, one is for the MDC and one is for the camera system for remote uploading of video.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Here's a better pic of them on a car in Oakland County. The trunk antennas surely are radio/MPSCS so it'd make sense the discs are for data.

Golay

They upload video? Like constantly? Do tell.
I'm not saying either of the two hockey puck antennas in the discussion are for video uploads.
But there's been systems for video uploads for 20 years now.
How it works is the car is recording the video and saving it. When the car gets close to a base, all the video gets downloaded over the air to the base. It's all automatic. No one at the station or in the car does anything or is even aware it's going on.

As far as the original topic, I first started seeing those two hockey pucks on specialty SUV's about 3 years ago. Canine units. Crime labs. That sort of thing. Then for about the last year, they've been showing up on patrol cars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.