Msp/hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqs

The sign on the hood is called a Shark Fin it was used for side stops back in the day .
The trooper would pull up to along the drivers side of a car he wanted to stop and activate the Shark Fins light .The bubble gum light on top was started in the 60's and the current paint color dates back to 1956 all are tradition of the msp

Attachments

• 220px-MI_-_State_Police_Hoodlight.jpg
    220px-MI_-_State_Police_Hoodlight.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:

freqs

Not that I know of, its all tradition for the MSP the pinkish light the bubble gum light gives off and the Shark fin on the hood i do believe the shark fin lights up Here are some older MSP cars and how the looks have changed

Attachments

• msp hq.jpg
    msp hq.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 638
  • 1951_Chevrolet_Styleline_Deluxe_Club_Coupe_Michigan_State_Police.jpg
    1951_Chevrolet_Styleline_Deluxe_Club_Coupe_Michigan_State_Police.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,023
  • 1958 msp.jpg
    1958 msp.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited:

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
It used to light up, not sure if it still does, but wouldn't be surprised.
Also, when they retire a patrol car, the shark fin & the bubble gum are both removed, reconditioned if necessary, & put on another car. MSP found it was too expensive to get new ones, so they are recycling the old ones. They haven't switched to strobes or LED's because the bubble gum is kinda their "trademark".

freqs

As the bubbles go bad are replaced with a LED light like the one in the pix

Attachments

• newmsplight_304147_7.jpg
    newmsplight_304147_7.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 544

bigbluemsp

All new cars are given led beacons (Unity RV26 Domes) with Whelen Justice LED's.

The new Fin's have LED's inside them and yes they light up and I know many troops that still use them.

m297

All new cars are given led beacons (Unity RV26 Domes) with Whelen Justice LED's.

The new Fin's have LED's inside them and yes they light up and I know many troops that still use them.

Used more so up north where it is pitch dark no street lights, when you arrive on a radio run at night a few troops turn the Fin on as it lights up well in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.