msp northville

Status
Not open for further replies.

policeMonitor

i hear a phone conversation on this freq to women talking and the msp dispacth also was trying to figure out where it was comeing from

i was wondering if anyone else hear this?

it was around 8pm-830

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
Police Montior:

What you heard was a "Private call". They can make in a sense a phone call to the dispatch console or the console can call the mobile. They tend to do this when they dont want to tie up air time, however what they fail to realize is it is indeed air time. Its just not on a main talk group.

Private calls can be interesting to listen to to say the least, you usually will only hear one side of the conversation.

Hope that helps

bigbluemsp

I heard the same thing the other day on D2 Statewide TG but it wasn't a private call.

MSP Station 10 (not 20 this time) requested to know who they were becuase of the things they were discussing but soon as they made the request the 2 women stopped talking.

One was Chicken Little and the other was Little Red Hen.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
Police Montior:

What you heard was a "Private call". They can make in a sense a phone call to the dispatch console or the console can call the mobile. They tend to do this when they dont want to tie up air time, however what they fail to realize is it is indeed air time. Its just not on a main talk group.

Private calls can be interesting to listen to to say the least, you usually will only hear one side of the conversation.

Hope that helps
correct, unless both units are on the same tower you will only hear one side of the conversation. I setup my GRE 500 with one area just with multiple towers and only setup for private calls whihc does help to hear both sides sometimes.

policeMonitor

units also asked who they were and the things these women were talking about was not police related and when msp keyed up they keyed over them

bigbluemsp

units also asked who they were and the things these women were talking about was not police related and when msp keyed up they keyed over them

Same thing I heard on last Friday around 1200-1300 in the afternoon.

I can't get Private Calls on my scanner (Pro96) or atleast it's not set that way and I was hearing it clear both sides.

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Pro96 Private Calls

Big Blue MSP,

You can set up your 96 to receive private calls but using another bank with all of your local tower frequencies in conventional FM mode without the control channel. When units in your area say to give them a private call as long as they on on your local tower you will hear them in your private call bank. It works pretty well and when in private call the radios do not trunk so once you hear their voice hit pause and you're in.

The PSR radios are much easier to use for this since they track PC but what the heck it worked just fine for me over the years.

Les

m297

The use of private call is not done "to limit the use of air-time", it's done so others can't hear the conversation. But as we all know that has it's limits too.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
The use of private call is not done "to limit the use of air-time", it's done so others can't hear the conversation. But as we all know that has it's limits too.

Actually your only kind of right. If it was done so that other cannot hear the conversation they would have never put it out there. What I was simply saying was, it takes away from using the talkgroup and tying up airtime. A private call is just that, its a private call between officer and officer, or officer and base or base to officer-and nobody else on the system can hear it unless they of coarse have a scanner!

m297

Actually your only kind of right. If it was done so that other cannot hear the conversation they would have never put it out there. What I was simply saying was, it takes away from using the talkgroup and tying up airtime. A private call is just that, its a private call between officer and officer, or officer and base or base to officer-and nobody else on the system can hear it unless they of coarse have a scanner![/QUOT

That's what I said so others meaning other users can't hear the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.