MSP Post and Radio Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Effective on October 1, 2011, the Michigan State Police will be making some major changes in their post and vehicle numbering scheme. Likewise, the MSP will be using their new radio templates across the state. At this time, it is not known how this will effect current talkgroup assignments. Now would be a great time to start making notes.

New Michigan State Police District and Posts Map.

Please share your findings in this thread.

73s

Ron

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I should know this but ...

.... Likewise, the MSP will be using their new radio templates across the state. ....

Briefly touch on what the templates are. I know it's got something to do with the programming.
But I've gotten a little fuzzy on that.

milaw

Premium Subscriber
It's how the radio is programmed regarding channel and talkgroup assignments.

Example:

Channel 1 - 82P911
Channel 2 - 82LEIN
Channel 3 - 82DRUG

Nearly all radios will have to be reprogrammed to accommodate the redistricting.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Briefly touch on what the templates are. I know it's got something to do with the programming.
But I've gotten a little fuzzy on that.

Each agency that uses the MPSCS has it's own template, that represents how their radios are programmed & what talkgroup appears in each channel location & each zone.

These zones are the same in most all radios & cannot be changed by the agency:
Zones G, H, & I contain the statewide event talkgroups.
Zone E contains TG's STATW1 thru STATW8.
Zone F contains the nationwide mutual aid channels ICALL, & ITAC1 thru ITAC4.
Zone A is MSP only & contains TG"S MSP1 thru MSP8.

Once a year, an agency can request from MPSCS any reprogramming changes they want to make, free of charge.

mkoronka

Thanks drdistatch. I always wanted to get my hands on a radio just to see what was in there as far as TG's go. I understand a radio can have up to 256 different talk groups, I don't know how true that is. The "zones" you refer to is that like banks of talk groups in a radio?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Almost - they are banks that can't be scanned all at the same time. So you can scan only one bank at a time. But otherwise the same basically...

smartboy06

Premium Subscriber
And 2806 told station 20 while pulling a number that he had checked in with station 10. So it begins....

Also, Metro troopers are starting to use 21xx identifiers in the 29 and 25 areas

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Scanning

Almost - they are banks that can't be scanned all at the same time. So you can scan only one bank at a time. But otherwise the same basically...

Actually, you can scan channels from different zones, and depending on the radio model, you can scan up to 10 or 15 channels. (You can scan digital or analog channels, but you can't mix them.) And scanning is, without getting technical, dicey at best.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I remember when I got my TV station to go through the process for getting a radio on LFD in back around 2002. Whoever programmed it at the state had no idea how to set up scanning dispatch + Tac. I had to print out RR conversations and send the radio back in order for that to happen...

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Thanks drdistatch. I always wanted to get my hands on a radio just to see what was in there as far as TG's go. I understand a radio can have up to 256 different talk groups, I don't know how true that is. The "zones" you refer to is that like banks of talk groups in a radio?

Each zone has capacity for 16 channels (most have 15, since 1 & 16 are the same).
Each zone is lettered, & last I knew they were up to zone R or S.
So, potentially each radio could have 416 channels. (26 zones x 16 channels each)
With 15 channels per zone, that would be 390 channel capacity.

(Too early in the morning for math, good thing I have a calculator...!) :wink:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
When using a trunking radio system, there are no channels, as such. They are talkgroups, and there is a strong push to get people to stop using the term channel.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The zones are a grouping of talkgroups, generally that will have some sort of relation to each other.

In Washtenaw County, the template is somewhat standardized. Using the template I have for a fire department:

Zone A - Agency's discretion
Zone B - County Interoperability (InterOp and 81 Com)
Zone C - Department local-use talkgroups. (One per department.)
Zone D - Medical assignments (Hospitals, statewide landing zones, HVA)
Zone E - Statewide usages (MSP regional dispatch centers, landing zones, non-MPSCS system links)
Zone F - I-Call and I-Tac
Zone G - Statewide Event 1-15
Zone H - Statewide Event 16-30
Zone L - Livingston County talkgroups
Zone M - Monroe County talkgroups
Zone P - Police/Sheriff talkgroups
Zone UM - U of M analog system backup
Zone W - Washtenaw County analog system backup

Law enforcement agencies will also have a Zone I in their radios, which are Statewide Event talkgroups, which are limited to law enforcement usage.

The radios that are used by the county are able to scan 15 items. However, they must all be in the same trunking system, or they can be conventional. You can not mix and match, meaning you cannot scan the county's fire, police and EMS dispatches along with the I-Tacs. You can scan Washtenaw, Livingston and Monroe dispatches, as they are all on MPSCS. I have not heard about any of the newer radios being introduced by Kenwood and Tait, they may be able to do mixed-mode scanning, and might allow for larger scan lists.

Zones F, G, H & I (if applicable) will be the same, on all radios. (I am drawing a blank on Zone E being mandated, like the ones just listed.)

Hopefully that didn't confuse you further. :)

mkoronka

I am trying to picture a radio which I have not seen. When selecting a tg does one turn a a knob until the correct tg is displayed or does one select a zone then find a tg in that zone? Did not really confuse me more but now I want to know the physical operations of the radio. Thanks.

QwKiE

So far

In my area district 2 it all seems to be working as it did before on the HP1 . I really have not listened to the State Police to much today yet but as I said they are still on the same place it seems.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
QwKiE - there is no change in your area, so that would be expected. You're still D2.

gsalogar

Let me see if I understand this. I am in Gratiot County- MSP D1 until October 1. Gratiot is now MSP D6. Is it still MPSCS D1? The radio ID's all suggest that. Heard traffic on the D1 emergency management TG yesterday and they mentioned Gratiot as being D1.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to picture a radio which I have not seen. When selecting a tg does one turn a a knob until the correct tg is displayed or does one select a zone then find a tg in that zone? Did not really confuse me more but now I want to know the physical operations of the radio. Thanks.

Since we're starting to drift off the original topic of this thread, I'll PM you & explain it.

freqs

No change to talkgroups but now MSP that work in St.Clair Co will be on D3 along with St.Clair Central Law Dispatch not D2 do to the boundry change .

Status
Not open for further replies.