MSP roof "device"

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8bdk

Premium Subscriber
With all the discussion on MSP cars recently, figured this was the best spot to try and figure this out.

I was driving on EB696 in Warren, Friday morning and saw a MSP car, bubble top, unknown post, that had a black "device" on the roof. There was a head on it that might have been a light, but the MSP Troop was rolling so fast I didnt get a good look, so it might have been a radar head, heck, it coulda been a camera. The head was mounted on a pole, with a heavy black coiled cable. it appeared that this head could be elevated and moved, either remotely or manually. The head appeared to be in a stored position, in front of and just below the bubble, laying with the head on the right side of the car.

Any ideas??? This is the first and only car I have seen this on. MSP or other agency.

Not to mention, the Troop was just about pushing a red Dodge pickup truck in the left lane. I swear at times the Troop was less than a foot off the bumper of the Dodge. this went on for about a mile. The dodge was content to do his 70 mph, but the Troop wanted more.

I cannot understand how this pickup driver either didnt FEEL the MPS Troop, or why the F%&K he wouldnt get outta the way. I'm sorry, I see whoopy lights in MY mirror, on or off, I am getting out of their way.

Thanks for any help on this.

bigbluemsp

That was either a remote spot light roof mounted

or

A FLIR camera (Forward Looking Infer Red)

or

The new cameras that will automaticlly scan for license plates and run them for stolen autos and then alerts the driver of the patrol car as to which one is stolen.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
FWIW, the license plate scanning system is actually comprised of three cameras, one points ahead (which can be mounted in the car), and then two on the roof, each pointed at 30-45 degrees outward.

kc8bdk

Premium Subscriber
Now THATS a cool little toy. with the fact that the Troop was a foot off the bumper, I would prolly guess the scanner system. I could never get a good look to see if there was a second camera, but the 30-45 deg seperation would be right for the RH head I did see.

Thanks!!

fireresq2825

It's the "LPR" car. License Plate Recognition. Cool idea, but it has it's limitations. It was at the Northville MPSCS shop forever and a day while the MFGR was trying to get it installed and the equipment bugs worked out.

First time I heard it called the LPR car all I could think of was a friends home made wine that is also called LPR (liquid panty remover).

SCPD

QRT
The first time I read about this technology was a couple of years ago, when it was first being marketed. The way it was adverised to work back then, was to have an optical scanning camera of some sort mounted on each SIDE of a car, and the car would cruise the aisles of parking lots, reading car tags as it rolled along, automatically checking LEIN and NCIC.

Sounds like it's being used a little differently, than first intended. Havn't seen this yet, but I'm rarely on a freeway anymore.

m297

fireresq2825 said:
It's the "LPR" car. License Plate Recognition. Cool idea, but it has it's limitations. It was at the Northville MPSCS shop forever and a day while the MFGR was trying to get it installed and the equipment bugs worked out.

First time I heard it called the LPR car all I could think of was a friends home made wine that is also called LPR (liquid panty remover).

Yep the biggest limitation, is your limited to the info which is loaded on the chip at the post then inserted into the computer in the car and there arent any other updates until you return and re load the chip (zip drive if u will). Oh and i forgot to metion the powers that be want no pursuits with that vehicle at least for now.....

Jeffn8wb

It would be interesting to be able to post a picture of the device in question. That would probably help to clear up any questions.

Alpha432

Trooper tailgating.

You would not believe just howmany times I have experienced this and how many other people have said that troopers do the same. On several occasions they even turn on the grill lights and scare the SXit out of me thinking I am getting pulled over. And no they are not tailing someone because he did this to a number of cars a head of me aswell in multiple lanes. What the heck??

"Not to mention, the Troop was just about pushing a red Dodge pickup truck in the left lane. I swear at times the Troop was less than a foot off the bumper of the Dodge. this went on for about a mile. The dodge was content to do his 70 mph, but the Troop wanted more."

kc8bdk

Premium Subscriber
Jeffn8wb said:
It would be interesting to be able to post a picture of the device in question. That would probably help to clear up any questions.

I wish I was able to dig the camera outta the backpack, and pop off a couple shots.

But sure as I can, next time I see it, and I am stationary, I will do my best!!

n3bxv

BoxAlarm187 said:
FWIW, the license plate scanning system is actually comprised of three cameras, one points ahead (which can be mounted in the car), and then two on the roof, each pointed at 30-45 degrees outward.

I saw one of these systems on one of the "other" MSP's Car last week.. (Maryland State Police) Two Cameras on the roof angled out at 45 degrees or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.