MSP Troopers - New Tail Rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanManQSL

Premium Subscriber
QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
I just would like to share the information I got about the Trooper...

I just got word from my friend who works for the Fredrick County FD. All of the MSP Troopers will have their tail rotors change to a newer style. He said Trooper 3 has already been change to the new rotors and now they sound like a giant weed whacker. You know the Dauphin helicopters have a unique sound to them that makes them very distinctive.

18-3box

ScanManQSL said:
I just would like to share the information I got about the Trooper...

I just got word from my friend who works for the Fredrick County FD. All of the MSP Troopers will have their tail rotors change to a newer style. He said Trooper 3 has already been change to the new rotors and now they sound like a giant weed whacker. You know the Dauphin helicopters have a unique sound to them that makes them very distinctive.

i have heard that also. i was kinda curious myself. they always have had a unique sound, and just recently a few msp troopers'll fly over and it has a different sound that matches your description; a "giant weed whacker"

ResQguy

Meh
They still sound different than other style aircraft due to the fenestron. The EC135 is similarly constructed.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Now you can't go dropping a word like "fenestron" without telling us what it is.
Yeah, I know I could google it.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Had the helo context not been available I'd a thought it was some sort of medication:lol:

Last edited:

patrolman123

Tail rotor

Just spoke with the crew of trooper 4 at the Ocean city firemens convention. The crew said that the manufacter of the old tail rotor found that a material used to make the rotor caused cancer. Hence the reason that they went to a new rotor. The crew said that it is a 12 blade instead of a 10 or 11 blade system......
All similar aircraft including those of the coast guard will be changed....

Last edited:

mlevin

Couldn't tell you for sure. But it's probably made from some material that gives off carcinogens (cancer causing chemicals) when heated or burned. I would assume that the tail rotor gets pretty hot from the exhaust.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
I believe the exhaust comes off of the main body of the aircraft, the heat shouldn't travel down there. There might be heat from friction as it spins (like the hubs of the wheels on your car), maybe they were talking about it because the problem occurred durnig manufacture. Anyway, not trying to belabor the point, I just couldn't/can't imagine what they are referring to.

patrolman123

Tail Rotors

Just got back from the beach and saw the replies. According to the crew the problem revolves around the making of the rotor. The maker found that the products used to make the old rotors caused cancer. So one could only wonder about those people who were involved in the process of making those rotors...???????

Status
Not open for further replies.