MSP Vehicle Info Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluemsp

Can this be a Sticky Please?

http://www.geocities.com/my9c1page/msphistory

This site is run by a buddy of mine who is a reserve in a city PD here in Michigan. Alot of his information has either come from looking it up or from me telling him about the different stuff that is going on with their equipment.

Im trying to help him get more info to update it so not all the links work currently.

MetalManMI

Just tried it and got...

Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.
The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.

Are you the site owner? Avoid service interruptions in the future by increasing your data transfer limit! Find out how.

Learn more about data transfer.

FPO703

It seems that Yahoo/GeoCities are more concerned about bandwidth issues than they are about their users websites. The costs of bandwidth are not that much and should be going DOWN and not up, contrary to what some web hosting companies try to feed their clients.

bigbluemsp

Thanks

I'm waiting for the new Tahoe Pics

MSP has 10 Champaigne Colored Tahoes that will be semi-marked units with markings on the passanger side only and hidden LEDS

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
FPO703 said:
It seems that Yahoo/GeoCities are more concerned about bandwidth issues than they are about their users websites. The costs of bandwidth are not that much and should be going DOWN and not up, contrary to what some web hosting companies try to feed their clients.

They used to be a pretty decent web hosting company for having a free site. When i first started using them you could use FTP. Then they made you have to have premium member ship and pay to use FTP. Then more recently they've put the bandwidth restrictions in place. The limits they have make it nearly impossible to have a site with any kind of decent traffic. Don't even hope to post it on a message board like this or you'll quickly use up your bandwidth allotment. It seems that they are putting more and more restrictions on their free hosting as what would seem to be an effort to force people in round about way into their pay service. I guess their philosophy is that if they make it too difficult and restricting to use people will get frustrated and just pay for their premium service. I've begun looking for alternatives for my site but i haven't really put serious effort into it, so i haven't found anything decent. I have started using web shots for posting pictures as one way to get around it. Only thing with that is it really isn't part of my site then. but oh well, you have to do what you have to do.

ncarpenter

Premium Subscriber
Rediculous Yahoo! Hey, has google started web-hosting yet? Because I want to boycott Yahoo on all levels!!

Anyways, I WAS trying to enjoy the site until the bandwidth restriction message, but it looks like an awesome site! Tell your friend to drop Yahoo like a bad habit and transfer his stuff somewhere else so we can enjoy the WHOLE website!!!

But again, sweet site. I'll be checking it out, little by little!

firetaz834

I may know of better web hosting company that will serve you better. I will send you further information on it to see if you might want to use them instead.

BuiltonAsus

One item that I never understood was the fact that MSP vehicles, and most other state police vehicles, do not have a cage in the back seat. I imagine it would be a safety concern if/when transporting a prisoner/detained person. This probably has an easy answer to it, but some insight would be of value to me.

MetroMike

One item that I never understood was the fact that MSP vehicles, and most other state police vehicles, do not have a cage in the back seat. I imagine it would be a safety concern if/when transporting a prisoner/detained person. This probably has an easy answer to it, but some insight would be of value to me.

Troop cars do not have cages because MSP personnel respond to mobilizations (i.e., riots, rallys, Final Four games, etc.) in squad form, typically three troopers per car, with the gear bags stowed beside the rear seat passenger. Troopers are also called upon to do all types of long-distance relays, be it for people, blood, or evidence. A cage would make these activities less than feasible

One the plus side it allows more personnel and more gear to be moved in a more expedient manner. On the negative side it allowed the prisoner to spit/yell/etc. toward/on the trooper because in a single man unit MSP transports their prisoners in the front passenger seat. On the other hand, if the prisoner decides not to behave himself that's when a restraint device known as the welsh hitch typically comes into play and he ends up having a really bad day.

SCPD

QRT
What's a welch hitch?

... if the prisoner decides not to behave himself that's when a restraint device known as the welsh hitch typically comes into play and he ends up having a really bad day.

Well, I did a yahoo search for "welsh hitch", and all I got was people selling trailer hitches, or horse hitches. Explain please.

Last edited:

bigbluemsp

Well, I did a yahoo search for "welsh hitch", and all I got was people selling trailer hitches, or horse hitches. Explain please.

Nylon belt same as a seatbelt) goes around the feet then the other then goes outside the door. It's not a hobble or hogtie and they can't move their feet inside the car.

MetroMike

Nylon belt same as a seatbelt) goes around the feet then the other then goes outside the door. It's not a hobble or hogtie and they can't move their feet inside the car.

Actually, it is a cord of braided high tensile nylon with a brass hook on one end and an open ended loop on the other. It's about four feet long and is capable of securing far more than just a prisoner's feet.

kirk5056

Premium Subscriber
LED overhead light

I saw an MSP car with the LED top light on I-94 the other day. It was impressive even though it is still in the big red single light. I do believe it is an improvment over the older lights. It looks like MSP may have taken a step into the 20th century.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Looks a little funky - I've seen them for a while at the test track and hard to get used to.

At least it's not those tiny, nearly invisible LED's that all the PD's and fire chiefs are going to. Those still are horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.