MSWIN and MHP TROOP C

Status
Not open for further replies.

deighvid2011

Premium Subscriber
I have been monitoring the MHP Troop C "Ms Highway Patrol" in and around the Jackson MS area for several years. I realized I am no longer receiving traffic from them, and have not for the last few weeks. Is anybody aware of any changes that would cause this. I use a PRO-197 and have always received good reception from the Jackson Dispatch and the units within Troop C (Jackson, Vicksburg, I 55 and I 20) I have redownloaded TG's and Freqs from RR via my ARC500 using several different scenarios with no luck. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Not well versed in Forum posting. Thanks

David

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Pro 197 is a phase one p25 scanner only, they may have gone phase 2

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

deighvid2011

Premium Subscriber
No it is digital but I did see where it could only receive phase 1 and could not find anywhere that they had gone to Phase II. I already lost the Madison County Sheriff's Dept to a system change, and it appears the PRO 197 is slowly being taken out of the game. Quite disappointing indeed if this is true about MHP going Phase II.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
All State Agencies are to be moving to TDMA for most if not ALL ops on MSWIN within the next two years. MHP in fact is the agency coordinating the switchovers per MWCC. They may have begun usage. Anyone monitoring MSWIN with TDMA capabilities fill us in on what your seeing, those with Pro96Com check in also, Please and TY!

ALL USERS are to be moving to primary TDMA use by 2020 per MWCC. This has been put in writing as per the MSWIN usage guidelines, and is finally being enforced.

MWCC has also STRONGLY SUGGESTED that all Special Ops/Tactical TGS for LEA be Encrypted, with Fire Ops/Tacs/Firegrounds being left up to each agency.... So start watching for more and more TDMA use, and E on LEA Tac type TGs.

Last edited by a moderator:

deighvid2011

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Guess its time to start looking for an upgrade to TDMA.

rangerrex

Troop C is still P1 on the Lincoln, Pike, Jefferson and Franklin towers that xmit Troop C, which is most of them. Doesn't mean they haven't switched to P2 in Jackson area, but I kind of doubt it. Are you using the 197 as base or mobile? They've got a ton of radios to upgrade. My experience with F&W and MDOT monitoring, is that there are still radios causing P1 transmissions. I think both of those agencies were supposed to be all P2 by now. May be a long time before MHP is totally P2.

deighvid2011

Premium Subscriber
I am using the 197 as a base. I have a mobile antenna connected that gives me good reception, definately better than the OEM. I have been able to get the MHP for years and just in the last month I realized I was no longer receiving. Yours, and others information certainly makes sense, but the P2 answer is the only logical one since I had made no changes to my PRO 197 up until now. I have downloaded all of the MHP info via my ARC500 and made sure that all the specific freqs that I could find were in the Trunk Systems freq list. Not sure if the towers you mentioned would do me much good, although I did try to find them. What I remember is most transmissions were received via the Lake Cavalier tower. Any info you find will certainly be appreciated.

rangerrex

The towers I mentioned, wouldn't do you any good. But you might be able to find one closer to you that will generate more traffic. I have a Pro 197, but I rarely use anymore due to P2 transitioning. Still a very good radio, hope you can find some use for it.

INDY72

Troop C is still P1 on the Lincoln, Pike, Jefferson and Franklin towers that xmit Troop C, which is most of them. Doesn't mean they haven't switched to P2 in Jackson area, but I kind of doubt it. Are you using the 197 as base or mobile? They've got a ton of radios to upgrade. My experience with F&W and MDOT monitoring, is that there are still radios causing P1 transmissions. I think both of those agencies were supposed to be all P2 by now. May be a long time before MHP is totally P2.

Which is weird as the sites you mention are all Troop M, D9 - Brookhaven. :) Might be some roaming on the Pike sites, and Jefferson, Lincoln, both border the Troop C, D1 - Jackson area. Roaming also with Franklin.

Troop C Southern borders are Copiah/Lincoln line, Eastern, and Northern Jefferson borders on over West to the MS River, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

rangerrex

Troop C roams all thru out Troop M, except for Adams, Wilikinson and Amite. Works vice versa, Troop M goes into Claiborne, Warren , Copiah and Hinds. Troop J even roams in Pike and Lincoln. All currently P1

INDY72

Roaming a lot better on MSWIN than they used to on Low Band :) I hope to make trip through MS sometime this summer so can check em out again been a while! C Charles 12 still mainly Copiah/Southern Hinds area or did they switch him to other Zone?

INDY72

I am using the 197 as a base. I have a mobile antenna connected that gives me good reception, definately better than the OEM. I have been able to get the MHP for years and just in the last month I realized I was no longer receiving. Yours, and others information certainly makes sense, but the P2 answer is the only logical one since I had made no changes to my PRO 197 up until now. I have downloaded all of the MHP info via my ARC500 and made sure that all the specific freqs that I could find were in the Trunk Systems freq list. Not sure if the towers you mentioned would do me much good, although I did try to find them. What I remember is most transmissions were received via the Lake Cavalier tower. Any info you find will certainly be appreciated.

dosboot

Ok, I had a Pro-97 ( still do for analog) and yes I believe you might be right on MHP moving to P2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slayer816

Premium Subscriber
I only monitor Troop C as I usually stay in the Warren Co area when I visit MS. It's programmed in my HP2 as a TDMA P2 system and it works fine. I don't go into Hinds/Rankin so I never pickup any other sites except MDOT Warren. My state's system is P1 (LWIN) but I specifically purchased this scanner because my neighbors (Ark/MS) are working on P2 systems. The problem with this is, how do you know if you are monitoring a P1 vs P2 system? I'm still learning.

Question is, if it was programmed as TDMA P2; would it not receive if the system is P1? If so then yeah its def TDMA P2. I could always program it as a P1 and see if I can hear MHP next time I'm in the area. But at least from Warren Co, everything I can tell is that I hear MHP Troop C on a TDMA system.

INDY72

If the broadcast is TDMA, you will see it on the display. The Slot in use etc.

Also, in the very near future there will be a new MSWIN site for Warren... The 800 MHz system is converting one, if not all of its towers over to MSWIN. Just a heads up.

rangerrex

After a day of listening on a P1 only capable scanner, which I haven't done in months, here's what I know:
*Troop C is dormant on all of the Troop M towers, where it previously roamed. (Still heard on my P2 radio) Thus having switched to P2. without a doubt.
*Jefferson Co. Sheriff is on MSWIN using ID 33335, SO dispatch
*Walthall Co. Sheriff is on MSWIN, talk group is unknown, stooges keep breaking in on MHP Brookhaven main dispatch channel. Somebody in Tylertown area should be able to snag the TG.
*Troop M is still totally P1
*Troop J still roams P1

Last edited:

bama9999

All State Agencies are to be moving to TDMA for most if not ALL ops on MSWIN within the next two years. MHP in fact is the agency coordinating the switchovers per MWCC. They may have begun usage. Anyone monitoring MSWIN with TDMA capabilities fill us in on what your seeing, those with Pro96Com check in also, Please and TY!

Biloxi MHP and Hattiesburg MHP are both still using phase 1.

deighvid2011

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried adding the new Hinds Simulcast site?

I did add the Hinds simulcast site. Still learning and trying to figure out what I am getting. I am now receiving several entities that I did not get before on trunked systems. It gets a bit overwhelming at times trying to keep up. Originally my primary interests were Madison County SO (they have gone to a system that supposedly can not be picked up by any current scanner) MHP in central MS which by the info you guys allow is now P2, and then the local Cities of Ridgeland and Madison and the local EMA's which are still fine. I have downloaded hundreds of TRS/freqs that are providing nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.