MSWINN scaner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackster21

This may be a stupid question. I recently moved to Ridgeland, MS from Ft. Worth Texas. From what I understand Ridgeland and Madison County is on the MSWINN network (700 frequencies). I currently have a Pro96. Will I be able to pick-up the MSWINN with a Pro 96 scanner? I'm back in Texas right now and won't be back to MS for a few weeks, so I can't check it myself right now.

If I can't get the MSWINN system with a Pro 96, what other scanner(s) could I use for Ridgeland and Madison County?

Thanks,
J.

SCPD

QRT
The Pro 96 is perfectly capable of monitoring MSWIN audio, with slight modifications. However, if you want to do anything more than monitor the audio, such as trunk tracking and locking out talk groups, you'll need another scanner. The Pro 96 is simply not capable of trunking the MSWIN system. The modifications I speak of include using the "Pro 96" software that allows you to open up the 700 mhz freqs. on the scanner. You can download the software for a 30-day trial. With the software, the 700 MHZ unlocking process is pretty straight forward. If this is more of an undertaking than you are interested in, I highly recommend the Radio Shack Pro 106, it is excellent for trunking MSWIN, not to mention reasonably priced.

SCPD

QRT
I might add that people in the rural areas of the state are more likely to benefit from using the Pro 96 for monitoring MSWIN, simple reason being each tower outside the Jackson metro area has an average of only three channels that can be monitored. That is certainly true in the SW region of the state. I use a modified Pro 96 and Pro 2096 to monitor the system and they both work exceptionally well. Because of the limited number of agencies using the system, trunk tracking is really not critical because it's easily discernible which agency is talking at any given time. I'm sure that as more agencies join the system in the Jackson area, monitoring it will be a regular cluster on the Pro 96, but I'm sure right now you do it quite easily.

SCPD

QRT
While the Pro 96 does an excellent job of decoding the digital audio of MSWIN, there is one major down side. The idiots (MSWIN techs) use voice channels to send routine data over the network for identification purposes and other reasons. So, about once, maybe twice and hour, you'll get the motor boat sounding data bursts. The bursts are very brief, but none the less annoying. This data should be fed over the control channel, but for some reason they choose to use voice channels. I can monitor the state of Louisiana's 700 mhz system on the Pro 96, and you never hear these annoying data bursts, because they send them over the control channel.

Jackster21

In the first reply you mention the Pro 106. Then you said you use the 2096. What's the difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

Jackster21

In the first reply you mention the Pro 106. Then you said you use the 2096. What's the difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

Never mind. I did some research and see that one is an in-vehicle device. I want a hand-held.

Are there other scanners besides the Pro 106 that I could use for Ridgeland and Madison County? I just want to see what my options are. I assume I could monitor the Jackson agencies as well with the 106?

SCPD

QRT
Jackson PD and Hinds Co. Sheriff can be monitored on the Pro 106, for that matter, both agencies can be monitored on the Pro 96 with full trunking capability. The Hinds/Jackson system is an 800 mhz Motorola P25.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The "Hinds" system is an Motorola Type II SmartZone mixed mode TRS. Both Analog and Digital. NOT P-25. The only P-25 is the MSWIN. Rankin is an Motorola Type II SmartZone with analog only usage ever noted. Jackson City is an EDACS analog used by Jackson DPW, JATRAN, and JSU PD. All other city of Jackson Public Safety is on the "Hinds" system.. (Central MS Regional Network) Warren County/Vicksburg is also an Motorola Type II SmartZone mixed mode. Only other TRS's in the local metro area that may be monitorable include the Yazoo County LTR.

(If the constant crap between Jackson, Byram, Hinds County and other entities was settled, the system would have indeed been linked to Warren County, and Rankin County but alas... POLITICS...)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Radio Shacks GRE's include the PRO-106, PSR-500, and the newest I-Scanner they have out to compete with the HP-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.