Mt. Orab MARCS Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

jymypy123

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering how close do you have to be to OHIO MARCS tower to have it overload your scanner? Also if you are to close to the tower will it cause interference on your other frequencis that are further away from you?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I was wondering how close do you have to be to OHIO MARCS tower to have it overload your scanner? Also if you are to close to the tower will it cause interference on your other frequencis that are further away from you?

Even towers 3-5 air miles away could overload your scanner -- depending upon the scanner, the antenna, your location [high elevation].

The newer generation GRE scanners are more likely to be desensed by strong local signals on VHF / 800 Mhz than Uniden scanners, at least from my experience.

VHF can really be ripped up easy on GRE scanners, a little less problematic on 800 Mhz. There is a local county trunked system tower and a MARCS tower, both about 3 air miles away from me, and they dense 800 mhz a little bit. But I'm using an outside antenna, an active multicoupler, and a GRE scanner.

I know that using my PSR-500 and driving into town (the largest cities in the county, but by no means large cities), 800 mhz overlloads pretty easily for me. I generally have to put the attenuator on.

Mike

jymypy123

Premium Subscriber
Well the Mt.Orab tower is about 1/2 miles from me. It does not seem to bother my VHF, but is bothering some of my other MARCS frequencies i can normally hear. I will give you an example. I have a Pro 197 base scanner on a yagi outside antenna pointed away from the tower. I can usually recieve the aberdeen tower but since the tower in Mt. Orab has gone up i see the 3 signal bars but the S goes away and comes back. also does his on two of my other frequencies. Can this damage my scanner?

I can unplug my antenna and not run an antenna at all and still can get the mt,orab tower 5 bars with out any antenna.

kf5qgf

I'm about 3 miles from my county repeater and it gets over loaded too, it skips voice channels in and out without attentuation.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Well the Mt.Orab tower is about 1/2 miles from me. It does not seem to bother my VHF, but is bothering some of my other MARCS frequencies i can normally hear. I will give you an example. I have a Pro 197 base scanner on a yagi outside antenna pointed away from the tower. I can usually recieve the aberdeen tower but since the tower in Mt. Orab has gone up i see the 3 signal bars but the S goes away and comes back. also does his on two of my other frequencies. Can this damage my scanner?

I can unplug my antenna and not run an antenna at all and still can get the mt,orab tower 5 bars with out any antenna.

I'm sorry to hear that. You're in a bad situation. I doubt there is any chance that it will damage your scanner. However, your 800 mhz listening is pretty gone.

So much for wishing that the Orab site come online, huh? I mean all of that anticipation, and now that it's online you can't listen to anything else on 800 mhz. Really, that has to be a bummer. I thought my 800 mhz desense was bad, but it's nothing compared to what you have.

Mike

jymypy123

Premium Subscriber
i was wondering if having a ohio MARCS tower a mile from me and a cell tower a mile from me and another cell tower 1/2 mile from me could be messing with my other frequencies? And if so when they reband will this solve my problem? I also was wondering why this is not effecting my clermont system that is a 800 mhz system?

Status
Not open for further replies.