Mt. Pisgah site

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

Tossing this out to those who have an ability to pick up bits of information here and there, what is an outlook for the Mt Pisgah site ever working again? For those who might not be to familiar with it, 35 - 25 - 32.4 N. 082 - 45 - 24.5 W. , Tower I.D. # ASR # F.C.C. file # 1035173, address 1888 Mount Pisgah Road, Canton (VIA the clog wheel rail up the cliff)...
I'm looking for anything anyone might have heard, I'll even accept unsubstantiated, fake news, rumors. I imagine this poor site probably has tumbleweeds stuck to the base. I'm asking because there are two license holders that come to mind right off the bat that I could use, a V.I.P.E.R. license WQTA919, and a DMR, company license WPOY260 (Asheville Communications). I'm sure there are many others, WLOS, etc. At this point, I monitor the frequencies and receive no signals, no change there.
How bout it, any ideas? Thanks for your time.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Tossing this out to those who have an ability to pick up bits of information here and there, what is an outlook for the Mt Pisgah site ever working again? For those who might not be to familiar with it, 35 - 25 - 32.4 N. 082 - 45 - 24.5 W. , Tower I.D. # ASR # F.C.C. file # 1035173, address 1888 Mount Pisgah Road, Canton (VIA the clog wheel rail up the cliff)...
I'm looking for anything anyone might have heard, I'll even accept unsubstantiated, fake news, rumors. I imagine this poor site probably has tumbleweeds stuck to the base. I'm asking because there are two license holders that come to mind right off the bat that I could use, a V.I.P.E.R. license WQTA919, and a DMR, company license WPOY260 (Asheville Communications). I'm sure there are many others, WLOS, etc. At this point, I monitor the frequencies and receive no signals, no change there.
How bout it, any ideas? Thanks for your time.
Last I heard the VIPER site there was semi retired indefinitely. Imho they should either turn it on again or remove all gear and build another site they can actually USE and do maintenance on.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
According to my sources, the Mt Pisgah site is still operational overall. There are many(!) users of that site, not to mention the site owner... WLOS TV.

I can certainly imagine that the loss of their mini-railway access has complicated maintenance issues and perhaps some users have elected to turn their equipment off until easy access can be restored. But - as far as I know - the on-site engineer is still able to hike in from the Parkway several days per week to tend to the broadcast equipment.

John

trumpetman

Database Admin
According to my sources, the Mt Pisgah site is still operational overall. There are many(!) users of that site, not to mention the site owner... WLOS TV.

I can certainly imagine that the loss of their mini-railway access has complicated maintenance issues and perhaps some users have elected to turn their equipment off until easy access can be restored. But - as far as I know - the on-site engineer is still able to hike in from the Parkway several days per week to tend to the broadcast equipment.

John

What John said. Things are business as usual for most if not all of the tenants on the Pisgah tower. The only difference is you have to hoof it up the trail to access the tower house rather than ride the cart up.

As far as the VIPER site is concerned, there has never been a site on Mt Pisgah. Someone submitted a site as active based on FCC license alone several months ago, but that was posted to the database in error and removed after a few days.

AlphaFive

Mt. Pisgah

Thanks for your replies. Ref license, yeah that was me. The license WQTA919 still exists for that site, but it seems certain your right about nothing existing there, or ever existing there. I have never received a peep. Too bad. Thanks Chief for the reference to the engineer having to walk into the job site through the Forest, what a cool job description, "You like walking in the woods? And are you good at fixing things? We've got just the job for you". Take care all

Status
Not open for further replies.