Mt. Rainier Natl. Park freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3nitnweed

Have they changed their frequency lately? I have been listening on 171.775 for years and lately it has been silent. Or is it I have just been missing the transmission?

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I don't hear traffic either like I used to, sometimes it's direct or a distant repeater. The cascades had record amounts of snow so it's possible one of the sites was knocked out by ice or something else may happened. Still lots of snow so any thing large to carry up to repair may have to wait. It's possible they changed freq but I doubt it so far--I think they would of done P25 first. They do use a lot of direct comms on the output so the backcountry may have not opened up yet to necessitate repeater use.

This is an old list but maybe you can find something here

171.775 172.625 103.5 Keys Multiple Repeaters
171.775 172.625 107.2 South Side 97.4 Out
171.775 172.625 131.8 NE Side ? 97.4 Out
171.775 172.450 118.8 ?
171.775 172.450 127.3 ?

163.075 171.775 97.4 Jackson V.C. Paradise (No Tail) 173.8 Out
167.125 Longmire Paradise Link
167.150 Crystal Mtn Relay

j3nitnweed

Thank you both for the reply. I too thought it was just too much snow until that report in the News Tribune about the stranded hikers. (Though why anyone with half a brain would be hiking on Mt. Rainier with snow and wind predicted, is beyond me.)

I didn't read that other post because it said Granite Falls; next time I'll check them all out. And I'll write down all those frequencies for future use.

Thank you again ~

whitenoise

Rainier frequencies?

Hello,

I am heading up to climb rainier next week and was hoping to plug in some of the ranger frequencies into my radio. I see from this thread that 171.775 is perhaps one of interest.

The listed federal frequencies for WA don't include this frequency not does Pierce county indicate anything.

Am I missing something or are the park frequencies just not listed?

Any help would be appreciated. I did find a list on google but it's from 1996. Anything recent?

thanks,

Whitenoise.

wildland23

I retired as the Fire Chief in the upper Nisqually valley in 2002 and the freqs listed are the ones we used to talk to them. Talked to the town of Eatonville Fire Chief today.......they respond up to the Mtn., he said they have changed to narrow band and back to Bendix-King radios, but he is still talking to them on the "old freq's, he was not sure if they were on a repeated freq, but did say they had a hard time reaching them until they get close.....direct I would asume. The statement about talking on the direct freq,s is correct, typically they would not use the repeaters unless they were talking "around the mtn. Also their staffing level is way down from what it used to be a few years ago. just info FYI.

j3nitnweed

wildland23, thanks for that update. It seems things were just a lot slower when I first posted.
Also the new BC996XT does not seem to be able to pick up those frequencies as well as the old BC20/20 does.

Thanks~

n7cga

My most recent information 2010 is that Mt Rainar and other Natl parks and DNR,USFS in western Wash. now have their dispatching done by the Puget Sound Interagency Coord Center in Everett. Mostly the have tied into the legecy radio systems of the agencies they serve. For Mt Rainar my information is:

169,7250 Main Freq uses several input freq and tone around the MT.
168.6125 Common 1 Simplex
168.7125 Common 2 Simplex

I know 171.775 was used for years. I have not been to the Mt for a couple of years so I cannot verify it yet, and I live too far (everett) to hear them direct. If someone who lives closer might listen and could verify that would be cool.

j3nitnweed

I haven't heard anything on 171.775 for some time, just on the 169.725 main. I live near Bonney Lake and can easily see The Mountain from my window, but the signal is still rather faint.

wildland23

I live in Eatonville and have not heard any traffic on 171.775 for quite some time..........169.725 is faint and broken also from ny location. I stumbled onto several park frequencies on another web site and have them punched in and will advise if any seem to be good. Can't tell if old or newer from the web site.

j3nitnweed

I locked on the 169.725 freq. yesterday to see how much traffic I could get. There was a moderate amount, mostly traffic stops. (Didn't know there was that much traffic to stop on a weekday!) However the transmissions were weak and so brief it would be hard for a scanner with a lot of frequencies entered to manage to catch them. Which is probably why I don't hear them much on the BC996TX, but can on the old BC20/20.

I will enter the other 2 listed above and see if they come at all or much.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
I live in Eatonville and have not heard any traffic on 171.775 for quite some time..........169.725 is faint and broken also from ny location. I stumbled onto several park frequencies on another web site and have them punched in and will advise if any seem to be good. Can't tell if old or newer from the web site.

171.775 is no longer programmed into any MRNP radios. 169.725 is the main freq, with a few simplex ones for 'off-net' use.

Status
Not open for further replies.