• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

mt2000 vhf/uhf narrowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa1emt

Premium Subscriber
i have researched and read alot on the internet but am still confused.
I have a vhf and uhf mt2000. I am using dos rss and i belive its version 6.
Id like to get the radios to accept narrowband but the software wont allow me to highlight and change that field. It stays at 25. I heard that using labtools would cure this and i also heard it has to be flashed and some says it does not.
Could someone let me know what the truth is...

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Won't work, if the radio doesn't have it in the options screen 25/12.5 the radio is not capable. That option is in the firmware of the radio not software. The radio probably has an "A" in the model number. "B,C,D" should work. Also depending on the model number the radio can or cannot do 7.5 kc spacings on VHF

wa1emt

Premium Subscriber
Oh its capable however, when i do the test it says R02.04...does this help anyone.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is R02.04 the version of RSS? Because that won't make a difference. It's got to be the build model of the radio. What would help is if you posted the full model number of your radio, or decode it yourself over on the Batlabs site.

MT1000's are pretty old, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to find one that wasn't narrow bandwidth capable. Might be time to upgrade.

wa1emt

Premium Subscriber
the UHF one is a bn narrowband model
the VHF one is a R2.01 which is the version of the firmware in the radio.
It is also an AN on the model number

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
all MT2000's can do 12.5KHz per channel, only ones made after April 1998 with F/W version 2.11 or higher can do splinter channels. If any of your conventional channels are splinters channels (e.g. 154.8225), you will get the error message "ERROR: UPGRADE TARGET RADIO FIRMWARE BEFORE CONTINUING" which of course, is not possible as the MT2000 is not a Flashport radio and firmware is hard coded in ROM.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Try this...I was confused by the same thing until I realized how /\/\ software worked:

You are correct; you cannot directly change the "Channel Spacing" value...what you need to change is the value above it ("Tx Deviation"). when you change the Tx Deviation, the Channel Spacing value changes with it. Change Tx Deviation to 2.5, and the channel spacing changes to 12.5.

Let us know if that works.

Duster

wa1emt

Premium Subscriber
Thanks duster...
It worked, however...it wont take some of the narrowband frequencies. That confuses me.
It wont take 155.7525 but it will take 151.1375
Any ideas...

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The radio will do 12.5k steps but will not do 7.5k steps

wa1emt

Premium Subscriber
Oh ok I get it now....Thanks so much...
I guess there is only so much this mt2000 can do

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The radio will do 12.5k steps but will not do 7.5k steps

This problem is going to surface a lot in the months and years ahead with many different radios.

Agencies that already have enough legacy channels will probably never even notice the issue, but others will as splinter channel licenses are issued.

FWIW, some older radios will do NB, but only the 12.5 steps. Newer ones may do 12.5 and 7.5, but not the ultimate 2.5 steps.

As the OP found out in this thread, this is something to pay careful attention to when purchasing a used radio for Part 90 applications.

Every time I learn about another radio's limitations, etc., I write it down on a note card. The same questions about the same radios keep popping up over and over these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.