MTA- Metro North new LTR Trunked Radio System???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
I know this was discussed in the New York Forum about the new MTA- Metro North LTR Passport radio system. I was wondering if anyone near Stamford, Bridgeport, or New Haven has started to hear activity on this new system.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
i think that the talk was nationwide push for nextedge trunking for railroad agencies, if you look into the railroad forum, i think there is a thread in there about it,
but i heard Kenwood nextedge, not to sure when or why?

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
i think that the talk was nationwide push for nextedge trunking for railroad agencies, if you look into the railroad forum, i think there is a thread in there about it,
but i heard Kenwood nextedge, not to sure when or why?

I do recall the talk of the nationwide push for nexedge for railroad operations. I have a feeling that it will be a while before Metro North implements Nexedge. The LTR System I believe is for the communications and signal departments and different railroad departments.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
As usual there is little being worked on or at least know to the people in the radio shop.

As far as the MTA Police, we're working on a talkgroup in the C,S,P, system for CT units.

Hey thanks for the info. Thats interesting that you mentioned that the MTA Police is working on creating a talkgroup on the Connecticut state police trunked radio system I was actually reading somewhere the other day I think on the Connecticut DEMHS site that they are planning on creating a radio system that links all of the towns along the New Haven Line. Would you guys use the talkgroup on the CT TRS for primary ops or would you guys still keep the 161.2200 frequency? I take it that if you guys have a talkgroup on the TRS than they will have to upgrade all the MTA radios which i'm sure would be a pretty big job.

KB1JHU

Well, it sounds like MTA police have access to the CSP system. I just heard one on Troop G while they were dealing with a suicidal party on the highway in West Haven. First time I have heard them on it.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Well, it sounds like MTA police have access to the CSP system. I just heard one on Troop G while they were dealing with a suicidal party on the highway in West Haven. First time I have heard them on it.

Thats interesting that you heard the MTA PD on the CSP system. What talkgroup did you hear them on?? If they have access to the CSP system they must have to carry two radios one for their VHF system and then another one for the CSP system.

KB1JHU

On the Troop G TG (4816). Had a radio ID in the 40xxx range just like DEP and the "constables" for their mobiles.

MTACOP

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Interesting that you heard that, it was the first time I used the radio to talk with the troop.

Right now we have three mobiles in three of our vehicles in Connecticut. The have an MTA channel display in all three, but it is still in the testing stages.

Mobile coverage is great, portable coverage is being worked on. The MTA still has to buy radios and fund several improvements.

For me I hope we get the APX7000 portables.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
So what about the VHF System in CT? are you guys still going to use that in CT or is it just going to be CSP Digital system?
I would think the CSP would give you guys the XTS5000's like they use, but seeing an APX out there would also be nice

MTACOP

Retired
Premium Subscriber
There are all kinds of rumors about the MTA PD radios, since the MTA was served with a PESH violation.

I believe we would go to the CSP as our primary for District 8 (CT).

I hear they would like to use the DOITT system for the 5 boroughs, but that still leaves Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Putnam, Orange, and Rockland up in the air.

There was a lot of work to build our own system, but nothing materialized.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
That's nice that the MTA PD would go to the CSP system for primary operations. Seems like it would be a good idea since they probably wouldn't have to spend a lot of money infrastructure wise except for purchasing the mobile and portable radios. It also seems like being on the CSP system would improve coverage greatly.

It seems like the APX7000s would be the perfect radio for you guys since you operate on three different bands. When you guys transfer to the CSP system what would happen with the old VHF system.

Any idea what the new talkgroup for the MTA PD would be or are things still in the planning stages?

Also what is a PESH violation??

MTACOP

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Chris,

The APX portable seems like the ideal solution to me, we could still use VHF to communicate with trains and other railroad personnel.

There is a talkgroup, if I get the numbers I will pass it along.

Our VHF system was (is) so bad in areas and our dispatchers lacked training etc.... the union complained and after the review a formal complaint was filed. If I find it I will add additional.

PESH - NYS Public Employee Safety & Health???
New York State Department of Labor - DOSH PESH

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
For all interested, the trunking system has been put back on the shelf for now. We do have 2 sites with another ready in a few weeks connected via our in house fiber. For right now only the radio shops will be using it, both in analog and NXDN. There seems to be some misgivings about building it, since everybody has a cell. In my opinion not very smart, just look what happened during the blackout in 2004. Most cell sites went down, or you couldn't make a call from the overload.

RECON62

As a novice, with respect, are there any analog freq. recommended or are all digital / trunked freq which I would not be able to receive on an analog bc72xlt uniden scanner?

I am in the BPT, Fairfield, Trumbull, Ridgefield, Greenwich and Danbury areas often.

Thanks.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
For all interested, the trunking system has been put back on the shelf for now. We do have 2 sites with another ready in a few weeks connected via our in house fiber. For right now only the radio shops will be using it, both in analog and NXDN. There seems to be some misgivings about building it, since everybody has a cell. In my opinion not very smart, just look what happened during the blackout in 2004. Most cell sites went down, or you couldn't make a call from the overload.

Thanks for the info radioman. I had a feeling that the trunking system might have been put on the back burner.I agree that it is definietly a good idea to have the radio system as a backup in case if the cell phone network goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.