MTA Police - Long Island - antenna ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I was right behind a NY MTA police car today in Suffolk County, saw the following antennas (sorry, no pics):

- Small black whip (about 12” long) with curled coil in middle on driver’s side trunk mount
- 18” metallic whip on roof (VHF high?)
- 3” metallic whip in middle of trunk right behind rear window (800MHz?)
- Small metallic whip (about 12” long) with curled coil in middle on passenger’s side trunk mount
- white “discadoo” antenna, about 5” in diameter, mounted in middle of trunk lid

I am only aware of MTA using 160MHz-range frequencies – does anyone know why they would need so many different antennas?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The white disc like antenna is probably gps/Mobile Data terminal.

Could be possible the other antennas are for other radios on another agencies system.

I know some MTA PD cars in the Hudson Vally area have 800MHz edacs radios to talk to police agencies that cover their stations.

Like up here in Dutchess you will hear MTA PD on City of Poughkeepsie and City of Beacon Police talkgroups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lafd55

They have so many antennas because they are surronded by so many systems. And yes, the white cone shaped antenna is for GPS and I believe or made by Maxrad(PCTel)

Spec

GPS/MCT
VHF MTA PD
UHF mobil repeater
800 for SI
Cell
(Not in that order)
District 7 (Upper Hudson) use EDACS portables only.
Ct. units have 800 Moto.

Last edited:

scannerman5555

Silent Key
you fogot the 800 ant for Nassau Edec system and uhf ant for Nassau 500 system ......
they have a port radio for suffolk trunk system plus a port radio for Nassau 800 ............
they also have a uhf port repeater to the vhf freq's too !

Status
Not open for further replies.