MTA Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrich55

I'm wondering are they still on vhf outside of the city and on the p25 system at places like Penn station and Grand Central?

coolrich55

Also today they announced the mta would be putting hundreds of more officers in the subway systems. What radio system does the mta use in the subways? Different than the nypd transit police's radio's?

LukeB

I don't know if they officially switched but I saw they have a TG on the new State P25 system. I am not currently equipped to hear them or to test out that P25 system but I did hear they will end up there eventually, if not already.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering are they still on vhf outside of the city and on the p25 system at places like Penn station and Grand Central?

MTA Police are still utilizing VHF on Metro-North territories in New York State, both east and west of the river. In Connecticut they're on CLMRN, the State P25 system, still with access to VHF. Out on LIRR and NYCT I'm not sure what they're doing/will be doing now.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
When underground in the NYCT system, MTAPD uses UHF portables to communicate with NYPD Transit. There is currently no VHF or P25 infrastructure for MTAPD to use while underground. Above ground, as others have said above, MTAPD still uses VHF inside GCT and Penn along with MNRR and LIRR territories. This will be so until the new P25 MRRS begins to be utilized as the primary system. In CT, MTAPD is using and will continue to use the CLMRN system.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
You are correct, as of 1000 hours today MTAPD switched to the new system in every district excluding Penn, GCT and Flatbush for the time being. The VHF system outside the terminals will be used for backup purposes only.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm hearing the radio techs testing APX8000 and XL200 portables at various locations in Orange County on the Zone 4 Simulcast. All in the clear.
Same in Rockland about an hour ago, heard them testing at Spring Valley and Suffern stations, then up to Tuxedo station.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Are they running Phase I or II ?
They have been doing comparison testing of Harris vs Motorola radios for about 2 weeks. M has been the winner so far, but I think some one miss programmed the Harris ones. Even right under the tower there were problems with the Harris.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The talkgroups are TDMA, and so far everything is in the clear, including what sound like actual units calling into Central on TG 9048. Not a single secure transmission observed so far.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Every district with the exception of District 8 (Connecticut) has a primary dispatch channel, a "tac" channel, and a secure channel (encrypted). Some districts are combined into one for the purposes of dispatch, tac and secure channels i.e. Districts 6 and 7 share talkgroups for the three channels.

As I have a Whistler scanner, it performs very poorly on P25 simulcast systems. I therefore can't help with identifying talkgroup info beyond what I can see on my radio.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm getting the impression that TG 9048 is District 6 Police based on the units (6 David, 6 George, 6 Sgt 1)

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
I'm getting the impression that TG 9048 is District 6 Police based on the units (6 David, 6 George, 6 Sgt 1)

I believe that District 6 turns out of the Mt Vernon Precinct? My understanding is they cover all the westchester stations.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
You are correct; TG 9048 is likely the dispatch talkgroup of District 6 and District 7 based on the above information.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This is the list I have:

District 1 - Suffolk
District 2 - Nassau
District 3 - Queens and Brooklyn
District 4 - Penn Station
District 5 - Grand Central Terminal and 125th Street Station
District 6 - Lower Westchester and the Bronx
District 7 - Upper Westchester, Dutchess, Rockland, Putnam, and Orange
District 8 - Fairfield and New Haven