• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS 2000 battery draining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I went from a MT to a MTS and I love the radio. Just one strange thing I have been having problems with is the battery. Both radios were programmed the same with the same channels. With the MTS, the battery light comes on every time I transmit and chirps when I release the PTT. Today, it would not allow me to transmit and made the low battery continuous tone while trying to transmit on one channel, but I went over to three more and it worked no problem until I released the button but did the chirp and had the battery light illuminated. I just switched my battery this morning and they are a year old. I don't get why the low battery light comes on and makes all the noises when I transmit but will disapear right after and the radio will last a full week just listening to it.

W0JJK

The MTS is probably drawing more on Transmit than the MT did.

It could be it is set to higher RF power out on the MTS than the MT was.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
There could also be an issue with low voltage set to high.
or
you could have a battery pack with a bad cell. If this happens the device will show low battery prematurely when you put a heavy load on it, such as transmitting.
Or the device could have a bad RF link to the antenna causing it to somewhat short out and try to get the RF deck of the radio to consume to much power.
Definately sounds like the unit needs to be professionally checked out. Put it on a bench and let a tech trouble shoot it.

Thanks for tyhe help guys. I just spent a hefty pennie on the radio and I was told by a local motorola dealer around here a while back that you pay close to $300-500 just to ship the radio out to the actual motorola techs. So it's nothing I can do tho, something inside the gutts of the radio? I tried swapping antennas before with no luck.

im800mhz

There was a flaw in some of the early models. We had about 200 with the same issue. Turns out they were not using enough Wakefield compound between the chassis and the PA.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Try shopping around a bit more. If you take it to a "radio shop" and they are sending it to motorola with out even looking at it, then they either dont have a trained tech on hand, or dont want to deal with it. Sending it to motorola for that much money is called Flat Rate Repair.
A good shop will have their tech bench check it first, look for water damage, physical damage, check contacts, stuff like that, also put it on a service monitor and check the RF side of it and make any necessary adjustments. If its a costly repair then they should recomend sending it to Motorola.
I worked at a Motorola Authorized Service Center for 8 years and thats how we did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.