MTS 2000 for scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecanadiangod

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys, I have an old Toronto Police radio and it does not work anymore, so I would now like to use it as a scanner. Any good software for the MTS 2000?

(yes, I know its old and it probably won't work)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
It’s pretty much a museum piece. Not worth the time or cost to get it up and running if you could even find something to listen to.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, those are ~30 year old radios, and it would likely need an alignment to do you any good.
You didn't mention what band it is. It'll only do analog and a form of trunking rarely used anymore (if it's got the right flashcode)
The LCD screens are notorious for failing slowly (losing pixels).
The Motorola MTS2000 software is out there, and you'd need a cable.
Figure on a new battery, charger, antenna.
Starts to get expensive for a 30 year old analog only radio.

But then what do you do with it?

As the one-eyed guy said above, Museum Piece. I have one or two left over from my old trunking system. Nice to look at and remember the old days, but there are better radios out there now that are less of a hassle to deal with.

VA3JPX

Sadly, it isn't worth anything now and serves next to no purpose now.

If you want a scanner, you can buy a $30 USB SDR dongle and run free software for all your needs. Even digital P25

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
800MHz MTS-2000?

When I shut down my SmartNet system, I had about 400 of those sitting in my shop. This was in 2011/2012. I looked at what they were selling for on e-Bay, what the cost of packing/shipping was, plus all the hassle.

I saved a few of the nice ones, the rest were fully wiped back to a codeplug with only one RX only personality, and they were tossed in e-waste. I think back then a decent one would get $30 to $40 for a model 1, maybe a bit more if you threw in a good battery, charger, and a speaker mic. The rest were going for $20.

Cheaper for me to toss them. Most had failing LCD displays.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, 800MHz MTS2000. Not really good for much these days except a museum piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.