MTS 2000 set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-9policexj

Ok, this might be a long shot, but I'm curious if anybody has the "template" that BOEC and/or WACCA uses when setting up their pack set radios...I'm in the process of setting up my new shack (with re- banded radios) and want a mirror image of channel and zone selections for both counties, along with all the talk groups they have currently programmed. I don't need the HEX codes, as I can get them off the database.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance :)

----Ryan

Baker845

I been asking for template for some time, not sure if any one has one. But i keep looking around, and asking.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Without rehashing the same instructions that go out everywhere else, get a scanner. It's cheaper and you'll have less liability.

That being said, there is no single template for either radio service agency -- each template is designed custom for each subscriber to the respective system; anyone that could provide a template would have the template only for that agency, or any others they might or might not be affiliated with.

If you ask specific questions, for specific agencies, you might get closer to the information you are looking for.

(for example, "Does anyone know the sequence of channels in the "A" zone for Portland Fire?")

Baker845

Thank you Joe for that info. LOL that makes sense why i haven't had any luck with template(s).

k-9policexj

Mts

Thanks for the info. I didnt know they were specific to the system user...I figured all radios were programmed the same, for ease of use. I guess it makes sense a fire radio would be different then a central or north radio (for example).

At this point I will continue to program up the stuff that I want to hear and make my own template. I see a lot of talkgroups that I won't really listen to anyway.

Last edited:

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Thanks for the info. I didnt know they were specific to the system user...I figured all radios were programmed the same, for ease of use. I guess it makes sense a fire radio would be different then a central or north radio (for example).

At this point I will continue to program up the stuff that I want to hear and make my own template. I see a lot of talkgroups that I won't really listen to anyway.

As someone who has provided baseline planning and coordination to the people that get paid to create these templates, that's probably the best course of action. The templates, in addition to being unique to each subscriber agency (and sometimes each subdivision of each subscriber agency), they are designed to meet the business needs of those agencies. The needs and desires of a casual listener are going to vary greatly. The way my agency's radios are programmed, while I have all of those talkgroups in my own scanners, I organize them differently in my scanners than I did with the committee that organized our MCS/MTS/XTL/XTS templates. Neither way is better or worse, it's just what works best for the user (or the "bosses" as the case may be, lol).

joe

DickH

... it's just what works best for the user (or the "bosses" as the case may be, lol).
joe

I thought all the portables had 80 or 160 talk groups, but when I was at the radio shop a few weeks ago, the person I was seeing had 240 talk groups in that MTS 2000.

radiotweester

While those radios have AWESOME reception/sensitivity because they are band specific, everyone does make a good point. I would also point out the big problem when you start messing with Motorola Trunked systems is you need a system key to allow trunked programing to even be entered in the RSS. This is a disk usually held by the radio techs under lock and key.
As for cloning, the MTS/MCS 2000s won't do it.
I realize this is kinda the wrong site regarding a bunch of Motorola stuff, but check out batlabs.com.
There is a LOT of interesting info.
Oh and a final parting warning, do NOT be tempted to use the "Lab" software floating around the internet. You WILL KILL YOUR RADIO!

mh34444

Templates change every now and then. I'm guessing that when rebanding takes place and equipment is brought in for the update, they'll have changes to be made to the template as well. Even if its as simple and changing the alpha tag associated with the talkgroup, such as when CCOM and WCCCA renamed their Ops channels.

Like joescanner said, its best to program your scanner to best suit your listening needs. If you were to copy a PPB template, 80% of the template would carry no traffic, but are there in the rare event they are needed, such as a natural disaster.

Also, unless there has been a change to the system in the past few years, some of the patch channels (ex; BOEC's patch to OSP-Portland) will broadcast no traffic unless someone on the BOEC system is actually monitoring that channel to make the patch broadcast.

Something else that will be of no interest to most of you, but joescanner may have noticed a time or two, if a dispatcher tries to transmit on a talkgroup that not a single mobile or portable radio is tuned to, you'll get honked at as you try to transmit until someone tunes to that channel.

KE7JFF

While those radios have AWESOME reception/sensitivity because they are band specific, everyone does make a good point. I would also point out the big problem when you start messing with Motorola Trunked systems is you need a system key to allow trunked programing to even be entered in the RSS. This is a disk usually held by the radio techs under lock and key.
As for cloning, the MTS/MCS 2000s won't do it.
I realize this is kinda the wrong site regarding a bunch of Motorola stuff, but check out batlabs.com.
There is a LOT of interesting info.
Oh and a final parting warning, do NOT be tempted to use the "Lab" software floating around the internet. You WILL KILL YOUR RADIO!

Unless you have a 256k controller then ToolProofing is moot :p

Status
Not open for further replies.