• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Mts 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue15

I just want to say thanks to you all for all your help out there.I want to buy a mts with 250 channels can anyone tell me some of the pros and cons of this radio.I have a ht1000 at this time is it the right move or not.I am just getting started so please bear with me

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
1) The dead pixel issue on the display. This can be fixed by heating the display flex with an iron or a heat gun, or by replacing the display.
2) SMA connector becoming loose on very old models. This can be fixed by either swapping out the rear case for a newer one or by drilling and tapping a hole for a set screw to hold the SMA in place.
3) Toolproof issue if you ever try to use lab software on one that has newer firmware.

Devilz311

Probably the only downside to the MTS2000 radio's besides the ones listed above, is that they have to be "flashed" with different options if you require them, and that can get expensive. I was able to find one with a loaded codeplug on eBay (Trunking, QCII, GE-Star, etc...) but they are rare. Mine has the 255 channel flash (H260), i'm not sure how common it is though.

If it's general scanning or conventional operations you are after, a basic flashcode will be fine.

It's possible to change a MT2000 to be capable of 250 channels, check BatLabs. These models come with many options out of the box (no trunking), but only have DOS-based RSS.

N4KVE

RF wise the HT1000 & MTS2000 are the same. However the MTS is more versatile when it comes to assigning functions to buttons & switches. On the 1000 the 3 position switch is like a happy meal. If position A is one function, then B & C must be specific other functions. No choice. On the MTS, A,B, & C can be anything you want. The 1000 still used RSS, while the MTS uses CPS to program. Myself, I'm getting rid of my 1000's even though they work perfectly, because I'm tired of relying on other people to reprogram them, while I can reprogram my 2000's myself. Just make sure you know the flashcode before purchase, & make sure it does what you need. Of course if you need it for Ham radio use, it probably doesn't matter. GARY N4KVE

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
But make note that not all MTS2000's can be programmed with CPS. Some of the older variants require RSS and using CPS will turn them into a brick with the quickness.

N4KVE

But make note that not all MTS2000's can be programmed with CPS. Some of the older variants require RSS and using CPS will turn them into a brick with the quickness.
This is true. I have programmed radios as old as 5.41 with CPS & no problem. But years ago when the Jedi's first came out, I had one with f/w 1.something. Looking inside, it actually had a MTX controller board as the correct MTS board had not been developed yet. This radio had come right from the factory which was 5 miles away. Gold lettering too. GARY N4KVE

Status
Not open for further replies.