• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MTS2000 III Scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdscan

Hi,

My programming cable for my MTS2000 came in last night. I got it working on my XP machine, and I was able to read/write fine.

I originally thought there was an issue with the way the scan feature was programmed, or even the actual adding the channels to the list on the radio (I'm new to model III's) but it turned out both were fine. All of the channels I added via the scan-program feature on the radio showed up on the list in CPS.

Now that that problem was eliminated, I was able to eliminate a programming error from trying to figure out why the radio won't scan.

I will add a channel to my scan list, put the radio in scan mode, switch to another channel (even in the same zone), then take my other radio and key up on the channel that I have in my scan list, and nothing happens. I know in the past, I've put a channel in the scan list and wait for the nightly tone test, and sure enough, another radio receives it, and this one doesn't.

Any ideas what the issue is? Starting to drive me nuts. I'm really hoping it's not an issue with the radio itself.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Wow, thru me off. I went looking for that radio and all I was finding were 800 mhz series. then finally toward the bottom of the page the UHF version popped up. Nice radio. Glad you can program with XP. I do my CDM's that way. I went crazy finding an old computer to do my Visars and some HT1000's. Anyway, I may just look into a few of these as they look really nice.

fdscan

Yeah, there are mostly 800MHz versions out there, because they supported an older analog trunking system (Smartnet/Smartzone) that are now being upgraded to P25 and digital formats and what not. So all the old ones end up on eBay. Some really good deals if you have a use for one... I almost bought one because they were so cheap!!! I've seen them go for like 20 bucks.

I tried programming with 7 but it didn't work, so I switched to XP and it worked fine. If you're in the market for one, these are nice radios. Old, but still great radios.

My only issue is what I mentioned above. Can't get it to pick up scan channels. Not sure what's going on.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Try putting the radio into talk-around mode (if it's simplex) I know that my XTS3000's sometimes act weird and won't unsquelch even if all the programming is right. It is also an occurrence that they will not unsquelch until you key up on the channel my guess is the vocon is old and needs to be woken up.

fdscan

The channel is simplex, the talkaround mode indicator shows on the screen when on that channel. I keyed up on the channel, made sure scan was on, switch channels, keyed up on the channel in the scan list (with a different radio) and still, nothing! Also, the channel is CSQ.

I've played with scan options in CPS and still no change.

Could this be a hardware or software issue? I'm pretty ticked off it doesn't work. Thank you for your help, though, I appreciate it!

brndnstffrd

I think your problem may be that the personality is not assigned a scanlist. What you may need to do is go to the conventional personality screen, go over to the scan tab that is a part of the personality, not the regular scan one, but the one in the personality screen and assign a scanlist that will be chosen when that personality is in use. You can have a single personality in more than one scan list, but if you are on a specific personality and press scan, it will scan whichever scanlist is chosen for that personality.

brndnstffrd

If you cant get it to work, you could send me your codeplug and i can take a look at it to see if i can find anything.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Sounds like brndnstffrd hit it on the head.
What you call a channel is in essence a personality in CPS.
So Zone 1 Channel 1 has personality x in it.. Personality x can be conventional or trunking.
If its Trunking, then it references back to a Trunking Personality. That personality can have 15 talk groups. Each of those talk groups will reference 1 specific scan list.
Now if personality X is conventional. Then that conventional personality can also ONLY reference 1 scan list.
If your radio is set up for conventional channels. Then each channel has the ability to reference 1 scan list. You have to create a scan list, then go to the personalities and associate what ever scan list you want.
If you switch channels, make sure the channel you go to has been set up with the correct scan list via the CPS in the conventional personality tab.
And there you have it, clear as mud.
Dont forget each scan list has options as well.

fdscan

Well, I read the radio again, and in CPS, the "channel" I'm referring to is personality 5 in zone 1.

If I go into the "scan" tab in the personality, it shows it in scan list 1, as it should... And if I go to the actual scan list, it shows it in there.

I will go on the radio and turn on the scan function on the channel I'm trying to scan, sit in zone 1, and still, nothing.

I'm confused as hell, to be honest with you. Everything seems to be set up like it should. I have another model I that scans as it should, so I'm going to try and compare codeplugs and see if I can figure it out that way.

brndnstffrd, if I can't figure this out on my own after the holiday, I might have to take you up on your offer and email it over to you!

Thank you for the help, both of you, I really appreciate it.

fdscan

Want to bump this...

Can anyone else weigh in?

I'm learning towards a hardware/software issue at this point, unless anyone can pick up any issues from what I've given so far.

brndnstffrd

Im still willing to take a look at it if you want to send me your codeplug. PM me and i can give you my email.

WX9EMS

Ok, you have the Scan enable in Conventional Personalities. Do you have all three items in the green circles pointing to the same personality? If one of these three windows don't jive, it will throw the whole thing out of wack. You did not mention if you use priority channels or not.

Attachments

• MCS2000_UHF_001_mkup.jpg
    MCS2000_UHF_001_mkup.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,293

WX9EMS

I am assuming still no dice? Can you send me your codeplug to look it over? I'll program it into my MCS2000 and see if does it here. Something doesn't make sense...

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Under each and every personality you want to be able to use the scan function in, you need to select the scan list under the scan tab.

If you don't do this, the radio will not scan while that personality is selected.

fdscan

Thanks everyone for the help!

Ended up being an issue in the Scan settings.

I'm back in business, works great now!

Status
Not open for further replies.